AMBER REX help please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
Wow. I think it's been years since I've posted here. Good to be back.
Amber is the newest Rex variety, so I can't find a lot of info about it online.
How do I produce Amber Rex please?
I know NOTHING about genetics yet, so please be simple. :x
I have a:
castor buck
opal doe
broken chocolate buck and doe
blacks, blues, and brokens and otters of those

herd sire (black otter) carries chocolate.

Also, when I get Amber, do I breed it to only Amber, or to castor, opal, etc.?

I really want to get Amber here. No, I cannot locate it just to purchase. :cry: Thanks for your help! :popcorn:

Amber is chocolate agouti.
To get amber you would have to breed agoutis(such as castor) to chocolate and do some inbreeding/line breeding till you get ambers. Basically you want agoutis that had a chocolate parent so you know they carry choc, breed those together and you'll get ambers.

Thank you! That's what I thought. There isn't any chocolate in my castor's pedigree, so my plan is to breed him with a choc carrying doe. But only half the offspring would carry chocolate right? Perhaps I should breed to a choc doe and keep a castor from the litter to breed back to choc parent?

Would my opal doe help me to get amber? Since she has chocolate?

Oh genetics are so confusing. lol

If you breed your castor buck to your broken chocolate doe 100% of the kits will carry chocolate. Breed one of those either back to the doe or to one of your other rabbits that you know carry chocolate and you will get amber. You can use the opal doe just be aware that down the line you could get Lynx (genetic lynx not necessarily REX SOP Lynx).

Also, if I'm remembering right Amber in Rex is supposed to be wide band like Lynx.

Ah yes I don't know what I was thinking LOL...Amber is choc so broken choc to amber would be choc carriers. duh. lol
I don't know what wide band means. Never seen it. This is my first time with agouti Rex, and I just got them Sunday. I am used to raising only blue, black, and choc., solid, otter, and broken. Agouti is foreign to me, and I believe I am the first in Ontario (and one of the very few in Canada) with agouti Rex. I could be wrong, but there's not much info online to show me otherwise. So I only get a quick glimpse of castor, opal, and lynx if I go to a U.S. show, which is not often. This is very exciting for me to have agouti now.
Thanks for the help!

Hi Jessykah! Very nice to see you back! :welcome:

I edited your topic title a little, hope you don't mind. When I saw it, I was thinking Amber as in Amber Alert/Help. Seems like the people who know about colours had no trouble figuring out what you meant, however! :lol:

Wideband is a modifier that increases the width of the middle agouti band and also has some other effects. It's what makes a good SOP red have that really even color. It's also what makes SOP Lynx have a white undercolor rather than dove.

Back