Is this rabbit male or female?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quinton

Reaction score
IMG-20171028-WA0014.jpgView attachment 5Hello, we bought a rabbit from a breeder that was sold as male. Then we took him/her to the vet who said he/she was female. I have since looked at more photos and videos of rabbit genitalia than I care to admit and I'm more confused than ever. We bought him/her about 6 weeks ago and he/she was 7-8 weeks old at the time, making him/her about 13-14 weeks or just over 3 months currently. No sign of testicles. I have attached some photos of his/her genitals. Hoping someone on here will be able to identify the sex. Thanks.

-- Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:07 am --

IMG-20171028-WA0011.jpg

Sorry, trying to attach additional photos but it's not working! Hope you can help with these photos. Thanks.

-- Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:10 am --

IMG_20171029_001027.jpg <br /><br /> -- Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:12 am -- <br /><br /> IMG_20171029_001148.jpgIMG_20171029_001157.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20171028-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20171028-WA0016.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 2,276
Hi,

I'm 99% sure it's a female.

At 8 weeks it's sometimes very hard to tell, before I sell any rabbits (or before they mature at 12-14) I get a second opinion on my guesses, and I keep an eye on their behaviour when they get older.

There's always the chance that the sex change fairy pays a visit :x

I would agree with female on that one. It's fairly common for even experienced breeders to missex a young rabbit. There is even a mem for it. I hope you're not terribly disappointed.

Female

There's an experienced breeder in my area who's done rabbits for over 15years now, one of my customers is a little girl who breeds a little bit. Bought a female from him, was a male, he exchanged for a female, guess what its another male, repeat.... they had that happen to them 5 times, so poor thing is kinda traumatised now. Last time I went with her to make sure she got a female and now that she needs a male from another breeder she wants me to go with her cause she's afraid even if it's not the same person. I don't blame her honestly so I promised I would.
Me, I can sex at 2 weeks with 75% certitude. At 1 month I can sex 100%, I've had no mistakes in my sexing so far. I've been doing rabbits for a year :shrug:

I was going to vote male based on the first 3 pictures but the last 4 shows a slit which makes her female. Good thing you took many pictures.

a7736100":3dc0f0yo said:
I was going to vote male based on the first 3 pictures but the last 4 shows a slit which makes her female. Good thing you took many pictures.
even then, the shape was wrong to be male. Too angular, not hooked, no folding skin.... I'd have requested more pictures if they only provided those.

Thanks everyone. I can't lie and say I'm not a bit disappointed. Funnily enough, same thing happened with our cat. Wanted a boy and they sold her to us as a boy and ended up being a girl! Of course, 5 years later, I wouldn't trade her for anything but I really wanted a boy pet and can't believe the same thing has happened again! Guess I'm just meant to have girls :)

For future reference, when sexing, put one finger "north" of the anus/genital region and one "south" and pull apart enough to make a buck pop out or a doe stretch.

That is the easiest way for me.

Thanks! Yeah, it was confusing because it "pops out" rather than stretches but still has a slit rather than a hole! We even thought she may have had a split penis or something!

press enough and even females will pop out. It's a common mistake people do when sexing especially on young ones. Just cause it pops out doesnt mean its male, you still have to look for the slit.
I had a male with a split penis, you have to see the whole penis in extention to see the split and theres a big difference between an extended rod and a vulva XD

KimitsuKouseki":1w38e8io said:
press enough and even females will pop out. It's a common mistake people do when sexing especially on young ones. Just cause it pops out doesnt mean its male, you still have to look for the slit.
I had a male with a split penis, you have to see the whole penis in extention to see the split and theres a big difference between an extended rod and a vulva XD

A split penis can occur anywhere along the penis. I had two that had splits right on the tip and looked very much like does at 8 weeks. It wasn't until the testicles dropped that you could tell. The breeder replaced them but I later ended up culling the does I got from her.

alforddm":cndiu516 said:
KimitsuKouseki":cndiu516 said:

A split penis can occur anywhere along the penis. I had two that had splits right on the tip and looked very much like does at 8 weeks. It wasn't until the testicles dropped that you could tell. The breeder replaced them but I later ended up culling the does I got from her.
I can see how that wouldve happened though once the "rod" properly forms still would be easy to tell even without balls.
And good thing you culled them, the split penis is passed on through the females since it latches on to the X chromosome. It's why I sold my male too.

Latest posts

Back