Do you know who you are eating?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost

Reaction score
When I did meat rabbits about 10 years ago, this subject fascinated me. That is when you are eating rabbit, do you know which rabbit was used to make the meal? When discussing the topic on RabbitsOnTheWeb, I found two distinct camp of rabbit people.

One group took steps to randomize the meat, they would put all the meat in the freezer and mix them up. Sometimes they would get a spouse or family member to randomly pick a bag, so that they did not know which rabbit they were cooking. There was a second group of people that would label each bag as to which rabbit it, so they would know which rabbit they were eating.

As it turns out I am in the second camp of rabbit people. When I shared the rabbitry with my neighbors Cindy and Tom. I told Cindy that the rabbits were going to be designated fryer#1, fryer#2 etc., she still wound up naming our fryers. This made it easier :shock: to know what to write on the bag.

Part of the reason I found it was easier for me to know who I was eating had to do with, my memory of certain aspects of the rabbitry operations. I knew were meat came from on an intellectual level but, I did not grow-up on a farm. From an hands-on operation, killing something like a rabbit was well outside on my experience. So, when the memory of say killing Groucho would come to mind, I would also make myself remember the lovely stew I made from him. This gave the killing contest. I knew that I was not just going on some crazed rabbit killing spree, no instead, each rabbit died for a reason. I had to remember that when I eat meat animals had to die, even if I never saw the animals while they were still alive. When I remembered how good eating rabbit n' dumplings was, I also remembered that in order to have it, a rabbit would have to die. My thought at the time were ,"This is such a delicious meal, too bad that Chunk had to die to make it.". As I was eating, it seamed, I was honoring Chunk as he fulfilled his role as a food animal.

Any thoughts on the subject?

ps. I just remember our first kindle, We were showing off our five tiny rabbit pups to my cousin, because she wanted to know about our meat rabbitry. I had to remind my cousin (and myself) that these were not pets. So I was saying rabbit dishes at random (don't remember the exact dishes). I would say… This little black one is for rabbit stew. This other black one is for rabbit and dumplings. This gray and white one is for rabbit stuffed with corn bred dressing. This one with the cool pattern on his back will be fried rabbit with gravy. And this last little fella is for shredded rabbit meat sandwiches.

pps. I thought of a cute way to designate an animal or group of animals that the owner was "ok with" using as a food supply. The euphemism/cute saying is "furry edibles". Example: We have some rabbits in the back, they are not pets, we think of them more as furry edibles.

i'm like, somewhere in the middle. i don't usually name my growouts, but they do get a number in their ear for if i sell them. every now and then one will stand out and we'll call it something derogatory like 'stumpy' or 'dumb ears', but no real names. it's not because we don't want to get attached to them, it's just that there's too many and they all look alike so there's no point lol. if we have to cull a breeder for whatever reason though, i mean they all have names, and it's not weird or upsetting to know i'm eating jimmy or kate. i don't write it on their bags or anything, it takes too much time. usually the adults i cull i just toss em in a brine right after butcher so i always know when we're eating a named one, but ultimately i don't really care that much.

my husband allows me to refer to the rabbit by name if it has one up until it has become meat, (fully butchered and gutted,) then he says it's weird :p but then if we eat a named rabbit he always asks me which one it was and will ask 'wait what did we make out of harley?' and similar things so i guess it's not THAT weird to him

I always cull my breeders for a reason, so if we are eating Echo it's because she was a bad mother and not purebred so her only purpose was to be eaten. But the young ones get killed solely for their meat, and sometimes they do end up with names (although I try to avoid it) so I do put them all on the same kind of bag and don't label them. It's not like I can't eat a rabbit that has a name, but I definitely won't take any extra steps to remember it's name. :) :bunnyhop:

I would say I know about 50% of the time. I have had one adult cull, so it was distinct. For the fryers, I tend to only recognize the distinctly large or small ones after processing.

Processing itself can be a little rough sometimes - I am notorious with my husband for having favorites with nicknames in each litter, but those favorites are not always suitable to hold back as potential breeders. It can be a bit rough but I figure the only one I'm harming is myself, so I'm not going through a lot of effort to stop that habit.

My husband takes great pains to avoid being able to recognize them - generally he won't handle them until I've got them to the "aged, retail ready carcass" stage.

I don't really care. Buck, Doe, young or old, it makes no difference to me. They're all good. :dinner:
Just did a one year old the other day and got 4 packages of meat out of it. Had one package last night and still had leftovers. (Just the wife and I now days)

They're livestock around here and don't get names so that's not an issue. Some get shown but have to be good or get sold off to buy more feed. Giants tend to have bottomless pits so earn your keep or off to freezer camp with ya.

freezer-camp-counselor-meat-rabbit-guy-v-neck.jpg

Homer":kbhs1pe6 said:
Giants tend to have bottomless pits so earn your keep or off to freezer camp with ya.

Homer, did you send your furry edibles to freezer camp? ;)

Ghost":2zijvgb2 said:
Homer, did you send your furry edibles to freezer camp? ;)

LOL! Some always end up there. The fur is to short for my friends to spin. :mrgreen: As they say, "if you're not ready to deal with the so-so ones, don't raise them". While I do sell some. show a few and keep a few, You can't keep'em all.

My dad's girlfriend will eat rabbit, but she's a bit iffy about it since to her they are pets. So every time we serve her rabbit, she's like "so who's this?". Funny thing is, I most often have an answer to that question rather then not.
It's not that I want to remember, it's more that I dont butcher that many and only a couple per day max when I do. So it's easy to remember who is who when looking at the pieces.

Homer":28plp9vs said:
The fur is to short for my friends to spin. :mrgreen:

Well, my presumed-NZW herd buck blew his whole coat at once a week or two back, so I am working on an experiment in spinning NZW fur blended in the same fashion as angora. Maybe I should keep you posted? :lol:

I'm probably not the person you'd want to use the phrase "too _______ to spin" around, though. I keep taking it as a challenge.

Ferra":3jv4sjd3 said:
Homer":3jv4sjd3 said:
The fur is to short for my friends to spin. :mrgreen:

Well, my presumed-NZW herd buck blew his whole coat at once a week or two back, so I am working on an experiment in spinning NZW fur blended in the same fashion as angora. Maybe I should keep you posted? :lol:

I'm probably not the person you don't want to use the phrase "too _______ to spin" around, though. I keep taking it as a challenge.
I'm convinced it could be spun, especially if blended with a longer fur. I've only started spinning and I've even spun some of my cat's fur for fun XD

Homer":2p3iuqpe said:
KimitsuKouseki":2p3iuqpe said:
Ferra":2p3iuqpe said:
I'm convinced it could be spun, especially if blended with a longer fur. I've only started spinning and I've even spun some of my cat's fur for fun XD
I'm sure you're right but...it would be like putting sand burrs in your socks. :p
I'm sure there could be some type of use for it, bottle thermos type thing or pet clothes(for those who are into that) or carpet or towel... those type of things you wouldnt use angora wool for normally XD

KimitsuKouseki":1knu2tef said:
My dad's girlfriend will eat rabbit, but she's a bit iffy about it since to her they are pets. So every time we serve her rabbit, she's like "so who's this?". Funny thing is, I most often have an answer to that question rather then not.
It's not that I want to remember, it's more that I dont butcher that many and only a couple per day max when I do. So it's easy to remember who is who when looking at the pieces.

The fact that I was sharing a rabbitry with me neighbor meant that even if the rabbitry had continued, I would have only butchered a few rabbits in a day. Thus, each rabbit could be easily tracked. Stating again, knowing that rabbit X fulfilled his destiny as a meat animal and knowing how good he tasted, made it easier for me to come to grips with the entire rabbitry operation.

I normally don't. It just doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm using butchering quite a few at a time and they all go into the ice chest together. I don't take the time to figure out who is who once I get back to the house and generally part them out anyway. The only time I make sure is if it's an older doe I'm culling, then I mark the package "Old Doe" so that I know to crock pot or slow roast.

How can we appreciate them if we don't know who they were? The buns here are all angoras so we don't eat that many of them, but sometimes there will be a surplus of young bucks and several will end up in freezer camp. Since they don't get sorted until about six months old since it takes that long to evaluate the adult coat, they've usually gotten names by that time.

We know the names of the cows we eat, too. They are usually steers of a dairy breed and not the type of cattle that more than one in three dozen would be kept for breeding, ( not that a steer will ever be kept as a breeder, but you know what I mean? ) When we were eating Pete, all the leftovers were re-Petes. Now most of the beef is from Goofy. Our friends with a dairy herd keep a steer or two and if we buy beef when it gets back from the slaughterhouse we get a really good price on it. They can only fit so much into their freezer so the extra has to go somewhere before it thaws. They only send a steer off to be processed about every other year so we fill the freezer when we can.

When I did meat rabbits about 10 years ago, this subject fascinated me. That is when you are eating rabbit, do you know which rabbit was used to make the meal? When discussing the topic on RabbitsOnTheWeb, I found two distinct camp of rabbit people.

One group took steps to randomize the meat, they would put all the meat in the freezer and mix them up. Sometimes they would get a spouse or family member to randomly pick a bag, so that they did not know which rabbit they were cooking. There was a second group of people that would label each bag as to which rabbit it, so they would know which rabbit they were eating.

As it turns out I am in the second camp of rabbit people. When I shared the rabbitry with my neighbors Cindy and Tom. I told Cindy that the rabbits were going to be designated fryer#1, fryer#2 etc., she still wound up naming our fryers. This made it easier :shock: to know what to write on the bag.

Part of the reason I found it was easier for me to know who I was eating had to do with, my memory of certain aspects of the rabbitry operations. I knew were meat came from on an intellectual level but, I did not grow-up on a farm. From an hands-on operation, killing something like a rabbit was well outside on my experience. So, when the memory of say killing Groucho would come to mind, I would also make myself remember the lovely stew I made from him. This gave the killing contest. I knew that I was not just going on some crazed rabbit killing spree, no instead, each rabbit died for a reason. I had to remember that when I eat meat animals had to die, even if I never saw the animals while they were still alive. When I remembered how good eating rabbit n' dumplings was, I also remembered that in order to have it, a rabbit would have to die. My thought at the time were ,"This is such a delicious meal, too bad that Chunk had to die to make it.". As I was eating, it seamed, I was honoring Chunk as he fulfilled his role as a food animal.

Any thoughts on the subject?

ps. I just remember our first kindle, We were showing off our five tiny rabbit pups to my cousin, because she wanted to know about our meat rabbitry. I had to remind my cousin (and myself) that these were not pets. So I was saying rabbit dishes at random (don't remember the exact dishes). I would say… This little black one is for rabbit stew. This other black one is for rabbit and dumplings. This gray and white one is for rabbit stuffed with corn bred dressing. This one with the cool pattern on his back will be fried rabbit with gravy. And this last little fella is for shredded rabbit meat sandwiches.

pps. I thought of a cute way to designate an animal or group of animals that the owner was "ok with" using as a food supply. The euphemism/cute saying is "furry edibles". Example: We have some rabbits in the back, they are not pets, we think of them more as furry edibles.
Good advice. A family member who raises cows gives them names like, "burger" or "stewie".

Good advice. A family member who raises cows gives them names like, "burger" or "stewie".
When we got a meat rabbit we called him Dinner and when there was a rabbit on the raffle (That we ended up not getting) I called him Stu-e

I'm sure there could be some type of use for it, bottle thermos type thing or pet clothes(for those who are into that) or carpet or towel... those type of things you wouldnt use angora wool for normally XD
You could try felting projects with non-angora wool. Since cotton is an absurdly short fiber and it manages to get spun, it seems regular rabbit hair should be able to be spun into something. Maybe a mug rug for your desk? I use not-as-soft sheeps' fleeces for rugs so a smaller rabbit fleece might make a good mug rug.

We sometimes know who we're eating, but most times by the time they're dinner we've forgotten who they were. We do thank them for being dinner before their demise, though. Since our beef comes from some local dairy farmers, we know who that is. Half the calves born there are males, so whatcha gonna do with a dairy breed bull calf? The best one will go for a breeder, the rest go to freezer camp, but they do get names which are then passed on to those of us who get beef from them.

Latest posts

Back