Alternative ear mite treatments?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So my sister has posted about her rabbit with ear mites. She's been doing oil treatment but it hasn't worked and they are getting worse. I want to treat him medically but I'm not sure what to use. I know ivermectin works but he is vienna, as even though he's a REW he throws vienna kits(not mismarked cause they have blue eyes). I've read that vienna rabbits are intolerant of ivermectin. Is there anything else I can use?

Dont worry about it, many of my rabbits are vienna marked and I still use ivermectin, never had an issue, even on babies. Better to deal with the problem at hand and use it since it's the best!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-ivermectin-pour-on-250-ml?cm_vc=-10005
This is the kind I use, very easy, just a couple drops in each ears and you're done. Since this has been a long term issue and the mites will be everywhere in his environement, I'd recommend repeating treatment after 2 weeks, but normally one time and you're good for 6 months.

When I use cooking oil I pour a large amount into the ears and let the rabbit shake out the excess.

I'm sorry if this is a slight hijack but as you're talking about it......
I was worried that one of mine had ear mites. It looks like I managed to clear it up with oil but I happened to be at TSC so bought some ivermectin to have on hand. I bought this kind
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=IOPDP2

I like that I can keep it sterile and I was planning to use it topically instead of injected. Will this work or should I take it back and exchange?
Thanks!

WVForestGirl":3il2v1bg said:
I'm sorry if this is a slight hijack but as you're talking about it......
I was worried that one of mine had ear mites. It looks like I managed to clear it up with oil but I happened to be at TSC so bought some ivermectin to have on hand. I bought this kind
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=IOPDP2

I like that I can keep it sterile and I was planning to use it topically instead of injected. Will this work or should I take it back and exchange?
Thanks!
I'll refer you to Homer's post from a different thread. http://rabbittalk.com/irritated-skin-wax-build-up-or-please-help-t32251.html#p320187
Personally I much prefer pour-on and to use it as intended, but Homer says that works..... I have not tried and do not intent to try though... :feed-plant:

Thanks so much. If I use pour on does it need to be diluted?
Also, if I can't find pour-on what size syringe and needle do I get? And is it a subcutaneous injection?

the pour-on doesnt need diluding. For an adult I do 3-4 drops in each ears, for a baby I do 2 in each ears. (meat size rabbits will need a couple more drops then that) It's rly easy so if you can I really recomend this kind.

The injectable, the smaller the needle the easier it will be to inject, but if you have skittish rabbits you'll find it much harder to do and the needle might get bent. On the other hand, a bigger one would be more painful for the rabbit so they'll be more skittish. I'd recomend the smallest ones, 1cc syringe, will make it easier to mesure the dosage, but buy a few if you intend to do several bunnies since the needle will "die" soonish. When I was doing a pennicilin treatment against rabbit syphilis and had to inject everyone the needle would basically be done for by the 10th rabbit or so. And yes, ivermectin is a subcutaneous injection.

Just to be safe I don't know if I would inject the ivermectin on a Vienna rabbit. Shazza just lost a rabbit directly after she injected ivermectin. KimitsuKouseki have you ever injected ivermectin on a Vienna before?

to be fair, my rabbit seems to have been a fluke as he was not vienna (harlequin/champagne d'argent/nzr cross), but i've always heard that vienna rabbits are more sensitive to ivermectin because of something to do with that gene. a bit like how collie dogs have issues with it.

would something like otomite work on rabbits? its active ingredient isn't ivermectin (pyrethrins,) so it may work better for vienna rabbits or otherwise ivermectin sensitive ones. it appears you can buy it over the counter online: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... %3Aotomite i always keep some around for foster cats/dogs since ear mites are pretty common around here with strays.

Ozarkansas":2pvnusoi said:
Just to be safe I don't know if I would inject the ivermectin on a Vienna rabbit. Shazza just lost a rabbit directly after she injected ivermectin. KimitsuKouseki have you ever injected ivermectin on a Vienna before?
I've never used it on a vienna, only time I even used the injected kind was on my friend's rabbits but none of hers are vienna marked. She has flemish/continental giants and holland lops

Hmmmm.... Well I won't use injectable then just to be safe. I'll look for pour-on.
I wonder if I could find otomite? I've used mite powder for skin mites that uses pyrethrins so that should be safe. Living in South Africa makes everything difficult to find :?
I'll look for otomite as well.
Otherwise maybe I'll look around for non-prescription ear mite drops in general and check the active ingredient.

Be carefull with other mite treatments, some have ingredients that are straight out toxic for rabbits.
and I get you when it comes to having issues finding stuff. Ivermectin isnt even sold in Canada, I have to import it in person from US. I cant even get it shipped, it'll get blocked at customs. Its worth it though.

Latest posts

Back