Continuous Problems With Brood Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
I did a post about a month and a half ago about a doe that has urine all over her bum. Post link is here: post319587.html#p319587

Well, she still hasn't got any better. If anything, she seems to be worse! I brought her inside today and gave her some apple cider vinegar (not sure if it'll help at all, but I'm at a loss), and she was making snuffling noises. Her front legs are a little matted, which I noticed a week ago but never heard any snuffles. It was only when she was grunting at me (she gets very vocal when she's grumpy :roll: ) that I could hear it.

I've attached some photos to help give a better idea of what's going on. I really need help- I've had more then my fair share of sick bunnies (seems to come with the breed :evil: ) in the last few years, but nothing I've tried is helping!

She's getting a handful of hay, pellets, and a large handful of Comfrey every day. So she's still eating enough. I tried Colliodal Silver which didn't help at all, and have taken any fruit/ sugar out of her diet. She has wood shavings to soak up her urine, but she still seems to be permanently wet on her bottom.

Is there some over the counter, anti bacterial thing I can get? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

View attachment Marley sick.zip <br /><br /> -- Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:15 pm -- <br /><br /> Photos didn't work again...

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

Is she in quarantine? if not, definetly do so. She could very well have snuffles from those front paws and your description. Put your ear on her side. Listen to her breath, if her lungs dont sound normal, bad news.

At this point I think you need to put her on a wire floor with plenty of space bellow it for her genitals to get some air. Only thing that can help her in my opinion. If you dont see any improvement after that, I think it's hightime to cull.

Ps. her claws need trimming too....

My sister (who used to help with the bunnies) thinks it's some sort of bacterial infection, but I'm not sure after listening to her snuffling today.

I might get in touch with her breeder (who happens to be a vet, too) and see what she thinks. Hopefully it's nothing too bad! I feel really bad for mrs bunny. I've been trying all the usual things that seem to upset their systems, but it's just not working. :cry:

I don't have a wire cage, but I do have some that are straight on the ground? Someone in my last thread suggested corn flour and vasaline.

And yes, thank you.

I dont think straight on the ground would help, probly would make it worse. Just go buy some wire mesh and build or modify a cage.

I agree with the suggestion to get her Off the shavings , and on a wire floor. If she is sitting in the shavings.. those hold moisture and she will stay soggy.
Some animals just are messier than others. :/

Another thought.... some shavings are dustier than others... Even the "good" pine shavings can be. Those make Me sneeze and my eyes run... and i'm only near it for a few minutes. The poor rabbit is stuck in that environment ... their nose only inches from the shavings.

Hope You get a resolution to the problem.

Thanks for your responses :)

alforddm":23thoxss said:
Pyometra? How old is she?

Just looked that up and I don't think she matches the description. Her behaviour is normal and there's no discharge, only urine.

I had a listen to her lungs and they sounded the same- if a little louder- then my perfectly healthy doe. I couldn't tell if she was slightly louder because she was grunting at me, or if there's actually stuff in there.

I have a cage with wire on the floor, so I'll put that on bricks or something to elevate her. Hopefully that helps some!

The vinegar seems to have worked to some extent, and her bum isn't as wet as it was yesterday. I'm worried though because now she's gone off her food. I don't think she touched her comfrey last night, and she only nibbled at the grass I offered her.

Is vinegar bad for rabbits digestive systems? I was very hesitant to give her any, but I kinda felt like it was a last resort and I didn't have much to lose. Im just hoping it didn't kill off the good bacteria in her stomach. :(

Silver Willow":2leyazwm said:
I have a cage with wire on the floor, so I'll put that on bricks or something to elevate her. Hopefully that helps some!
Yes do that with that cage!
Fingers crossed she starts eating again

How did you give her vinegar? :shock:
The only way I've read about is in highly diluted form in their drinking water, like 1Tablespoon ACV per 1gallon water, or so. That doesn't hurt. Apple Cider Vingar is imho more something like homeopathic, some believe ACV in the drinking water does something good, I've seen it recommended for almost everything, but I think it's more of a hype and has limited actual use, like making the water something more tasty (and attracting fruitflies :? ).

It is definitly not an antibiotic that can cure a bacterial infection.

I would refrain from giving her any directly, or any hearsay remedy, especially when she's gone off food - that's your prime, and real worry now!
Watch her water intake, it's important that she doesn't dehydrate (right now, I would worry if her bum is dry because she doesn't pee)

Lots of hay, maybe soft belly massages if she likes it, and so on. Offer things she likes and are easy on the stomach, like plantain, some rolled oats (kitchen oatmeal), there are lots of threads about keeping a rabbit eating.

Preitler":2q2fccgb said:
Offer things she likes and are easy on the stomach, like plantain, some rolled oats (kitchen oatmeal), there are lots of threads about keeping a rabbit eating.
Dont just feed her stuff she's not used to though as that could make things worse.

Silver Willow":228w2evl said:
Thanks for your responses :)

Is vinegar bad for rabbits digestive systems? I was very hesitant to give her any, but I kinda felt like it was a last resort and I didn't have much to lose. Im just hoping it didn't kill off the good bacteria in her stomach. :(

I'm hoping it is Cider vinegar You are using and not plain white vinegar.
Most rabbits tolerate the cider vinegar very well... in fact they often drink a bit better With it. :)
We use 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water. And carry our water when we take them to shows.

Just thought I'd pop in and give an update of Marley.

She's recovered from her bout of GI Stasis, and is back to eating like a horse and grunting whenever I pat her. I never thought I'd be happy to hear that noise, but thank goodness! It's not fun trying to force feed something through a syringe.

She is, however, still a bit wet bottomed. Not quite as bad as it was before, but enough to know something's still not right.

I've consulted with a breeder friend, and they suggested a vet visit might be needed for some antibiotics. They also suggested it could be a prolapse after her last litter, but I was giving her lots of tummy massages when she wasn't eating and never felt or saw anything strange.

So I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully this sorts the problem for good!

Latest posts

Back