Nest box suggestions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So as the title says I need suggestions for a nest box. Well more of my mom needs it. She decided that she wanted to breed her dwarf mix doe, so she talked to me and we set up a date for her to bring her doe for a visit with my mini rex buck. She also asked what she should use for a nest box. Well her rabbit is an indoor one and I have outdoor breeders with nest boxes built into my hutches so I didn't really know what to tell her. Her rabbit is almost a medium size, but since she also has a dwarf Gene she is still just too small to be considered a medium sized rabbit, more like a larger small rabbit. She is housed indoors in a pretty large hutch that has plenty of room for her and kits. I just don't know what to tell my mom to make a nest box out of, because the standard nest boxes sold at my feed store are too big for her. Any suggestions on what to suggest to my mom? I want her prepared before her doe visits my buck. Thanks

From my experience, indoor bunnies dont rly need a nestbox. Even if I gave em one they prefered making their nests in the corner of their cages. With Nikita I forced her to use the nestbox by moving her babies in it, but she wasnt very happy about it, kept rebuilding the nest in the corner even if she couldnt move her babies back to it.
Other then that, anything that can be used as a nestbox can work; plastic high walls litter box, cardboard box, wood nesting box you can build yourself easilly.

Thank you both! One thing I realized that I forgot to mention is that her cage has wire floor over a drop pans. She has some shelves in there for her to rest on too, but the wire floor is why I asked about nest boxes

The only problem I've found with cardboard or plastic boxes, is that they are easy for the rabbit to move about, if she so chooses. One of mine flipped hers over and napped underneath! LOL! I have no idea, if she would've done so after her babies were in it, but it made me nervous enough to make some heavy wooden nest boxes ;)

depends wich type we are talking about, the plastic one Nikita has is a... you know what? a pic = a thousand words
zvtzwx.jpg

That's Nikita's setup, both cages are hers and she has a cat litter for her litter in the second cage and the white litter is her nest.

Latest posts

Back