Register

danged warble on my kit

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,611.00

danged warble on my kit

Post Number:#1  Unread postby BlueHaven » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:21 pm

I was removing two kits to wean together and felt what I thought was a poo stuck on ones belly fur, and was horrified when I looked at it and felt how big it was under there (dime size hard lump). I just knew it was a dang warble. I have only found one other on on any rabbit I have had. I just hate these nasty things. I pushed on it and a nasty big black pupa came out. I put some Triple antibiotic ointment on it but will have my husband help me rinse it out when he gets home. Do any of you use anything in particular on these type wounds? This one was pretty big and he has a hold about as big around as a pencils end on his belly now.
I am glad I caught it. I see no reason for these things to exist. :x
Last edited by MaggieJ on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title - language

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,892.00

Re: danged warble on my kit

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 am

I pack them with antibiotic ointment (no painkiller/lidocaine) to prevent other flies from laying eggs or larva in the wound and just let it heal from the inside out to avoid an abcess forming

I don't use anything else like blue kote bug repellant as it can be toxic if they lick/groom it off

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,017.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Maleficent » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 pm

What is a warble? Is that like a bot fly larva?

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,648.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Maleficent wrote:What is a warble? Is that like a bot fly larva?

Yes, basically the same thing. There are many species and people may use one name or the other regionally, but all are still those disgusting, flesh-inhabiting parasites.

I consider myself fortunate that in all the years I had rabbits, I never had to deal with one. I think our climate here provides some protection from common parasites, at least keeping their numbers down. Or maybe I'm just trying to find something good to say about cold winters. :lol:

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,017.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Maleficent » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:49 pm

The only thing we have to deal with parasite wise is danged round worms from bird poop, fleas, and maybe the rare tick