danged warble on my kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
I was removing two kits to wean together and felt what I thought was a poo stuck on ones belly fur, and was horrified when I looked at it and felt how big it was under there (dime size hard lump). I just knew it was a dang warble. I have only found one other on on any rabbit I have had. I just hate these nasty things. I pushed on it and a nasty big black pupa came out. I put some Triple antibiotic ointment on it but will have my husband help me rinse it out when he gets home. Do any of you use anything in particular on these type wounds? This one was pretty big and he has a hold about as big around as a pencils end on his belly now.
I am glad I caught it. I see no reason for these things to exist. :x

I pack them with antibiotic ointment (no painkiller/lidocaine) to prevent other flies from laying eggs or larva in the wound and just let it heal from the inside out to avoid an abcess forming

I don't use anything else like blue kote bug repellant as it can be toxic if they lick/groom it off

Maleficent":20gevxdr said:
What is a warble? Is that like a bot fly larva?
Yes, basically the same thing. There are many species and people may use one name or the other regionally, but all are still those disgusting, flesh-inhabiting parasites.

I consider myself fortunate that in all the years I had rabbits, I never had to deal with one. I think our climate here provides some protection from common parasites, at least keeping their numbers down. Or maybe I'm just trying to find something good to say about cold winters. :lol:

The only thing we have to deal with parasite wise is danged round worms from bird poop, fleas, and maybe the rare tick

Bot flies do lay eggs on domestic rabbits, so - if you are in an area prone to bot fly, and if your rabbits are outside, then a pingpong paddle can be your friend- they can be seen hovering around your cages for a day or two before they lay eggs on your rabbit. If you do get a bot larva in a rabbit you will see a nasty weeping sore -just find a hooked scalpel and gently stick the hook into the hole, beside the larva's head and pull up and away from the larva,[enlarging the hole by about 3/16 to 1/4 inch] -then carefully pull the bot out with tweezers- if you rupture the bot larva while taking it out- your rabbit will die. So be careful... -- after removal I agree with "Dood" .

I dont think we have any bot flies or simular species that will lay eggs on/in a rabbit around us. At least ive never seen or heard of it here.

In the summer when flies get bad, buzzin around the bunny cages.. i hang those ugly tacky fly strips. They look awful but it does help. Also fly traps help too but they smell so bad, so hang them well away from the rabbits to help keep the flies away from the bunnies :)

ipoGSD":2urphg8c said:
I dont think we have any bot flies or simular species that will lay eggs on/in a rabbit around us. At least ive never seen or heard of it here.

In the summer when flies get bad, buzzin around the bunny cages.. i hang those ugly tacky fly strips. They look awful but it does help. Also fly traps help too but they smell so bad, so hang them well away from the rabbits to help keep the flies away from the bunnies :)

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/documen ... s/b650.pdf

Back