What's wrong with this baby bun's eyes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
One of my blue otter rex bunnies just opened its eyes and they are very cloudy. Any ideas on what this could be? No runniness to them.

Attachments

• 20171009_202907_resized.jpg
    20171009_202907_resized.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,633
I can't see the eye in your photo well enough to offer an answer. I need new glasses. However,
the words "moon eye" popped into my head so I did a search:
is-this-moon-eye-t2641.html

From there I turned to Google. This link shows a number detailed photos of rabbit eye diseases but do be warned that they are graphic and distressing!
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseas ... seases.htm

Then there is e. cuniculi, a fairly common parasitic infection that can cause eye disease in rabbits. It can also cause wry neck. Rabbits can be born with it, so you may want to check it out.
https://www.vets-now.com/pet-care-advic ... n-rabbits/

Good luck! :good-luck: I hope you can get some help for your lil bun. :lilbunny:

Thanks Maggie, from what I read it sounds like it is cataracts. It seems like E Cuniculi is the most common cause of it. I have never seen evidence of this disease in any of my buns. I am also not sure if I should or shouldn't treat a 10 day old bun. I will need to do some more research. For now the baby and his siblings are healthy happy buns with the exception of his cloudy eyes.

Not sure what he has, but if you decide to treat him, for pennicilin wait until he's 3 weeks old minimum for treatment unless it starts getting much much worse quickly. Go with very small doses of 0.05cc. Also buy the polysporin antibiotic eyedrops, those you can use right now.
good luck

I have attached a picture in better light. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell if he can see or not? He doesn't act any different than a bun that can see but his eyes are so cloudy. If he can't see do you think he should be culled?

Attachments

• 20171013_171359_resized.jpg
    20171013_171359_resized.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1,582
doesnt have to be culled, many blind rabbits live about just as well as others, they just rely on smell and sound a bit more. Many people will step forward wanting to care for a andicapped animal so give him a chance. When you sell him just tell them these few tips:
- talk to him when you get close to them
- talk to him before touching them
- talk to him before picking them up
if they can have a specific way of talking to them with specific words the bunny will recognise it and rdy itself without being scared.

As for what it is I have no idea I'm sorry.

Latest posts

Back