Register

How I skin my rabbits

Discussion of fur breeds, tanning pelts, using the furs, marketing.
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,740.00

How I skin my rabbits

Post Number:#1  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:29 am

Since I started raising rabbits, to me, it's become very important to keep the skin whole and as undamaged as possible. Each rabbit will eventually become a plushie allowing it to have a sort of second life and have another chance at finding a familly and receiving love. I know it sounds weird, but it's important to me.

Many people kept asking how I did it so here is a video, I know it's not the best and was filmed very poorly, I'm not used to filming myself or anything really, but I hope it was still usefull.

Edit : Thank you guys for the comments glad to know the video was worth making ^^
One thing I forgot to say in the video is concerning when I cut the skin, you can notice how I use the blade only by pushing it in a way that'll cut the skin. If I used them as scisors in those instances it would also trim the fur making the seams visible later on wich is undesirable.
Last edited by KimitsuKouseki on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
Ramjet, That Bunny Girl

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

Re: How I skin my rabbits

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Maleficent » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Thank you so much! I will refer to this so often before I even skin my first rabbit! XD

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby faiththequeen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Great and informative video! :thankyou:
Faith the Queen :king:

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,410.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby GBov » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Very nice! I enjoyed watching it.

Yesterday I had to put one of my does down so was doing her in my normal way but thought of you when I got to her head. I skin out the back legs and then hang them up so I suddenly thought, how much of the head can I do? Turns out all of it. :shock:

Have you ever tried hanging them when you get to the head?

1 year of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:58 am

GBov wrote:Very nice! I enjoyed watching it.

Yesterday I had to put one of my does down so was doing her in my normal way but thought of you when I got to her head. I skin out the back legs and then hang them up so I suddenly thought, how much of the head can I do? Turns out all of it. :shock:

Have you ever tried hanging them when you get to the head?

Glad my video could help ^^

As for hanging, no I do not hang my rabbits when skinning. Since I do it on the kitchen counter theres nothing to set it up rly, but I dont mind, I like how stable it make the carcass be since it's laying on the counter.

BunnyBucks: 3,085.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby a7736100 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 am

I've always skinned them minus head and tail. Informative.

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 515.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Ghost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm not sure if it is my browser of if YouTube changed something, but I can't get the vid to appear in the window. You can visit the YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0XHegefK4
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

1 year of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:46 am

Ghost wrote:I'm not sure if it is my browser of if YouTube changed something, but I can't get the vid to appear in the window. You can visit the YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0XHegefK4

shows fine on my browser, but thank you for those who might also have the glitch