Help! My 8 month old buck suddenly I'll!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ledel

Reaction score
My eight month old nick has lost a lot of weight recently (last week). He is now being completely inactive, not eating, and seems to be randomly ejaculating. He has never been breed and the fluid coming out is completely normal looking. He was attack by another rabbit about three weeks ago but it's was just some hair pulled out but now the cuts are completely healed and new fur is growing in. Any advice?

i can't help you with the random ejaculating (it could be white urine however - how much is it and how often is he expelling it?) but if he isn't eating then he's pretty critical. rabbits need to eat in order for their bowels to work, and if they stop, their entire digestive tract stops and can be very hard to restart. i would be pushing everything i have at him, even junk food. what does he normally like? fruits are generally well-loved since they're sweet, and the sugar can help a little to put weight back on. whatever his favourite snacks are, let him have as much as he'll eat. even if he eats only a little, it's better than nothing at all. if you feel it's worth it, get him to a vet asap. they can give you medications and special foods to syringe-feed him to try to start his system again.

does he feel bloated? when you palpate his abdomen, do his guts feel like balloons? gently massaging his tummy can help move some of the air and can push out any obstructions. something that's helped me before when my rabbits go off feed has been to put them in a pen on the grass outside. the new environment, sunshine, and plenty of things to graze on seems to put them in a good mood. moving around can help pass air from bloat, and most rabbits will be super excited to graze on the lawn.

hope he feels better :(

Hmmm, possibly a kidney or bladder stone/sludge making urination difficult and painful for him? That could be very cloudy urine and his "ejaculation" motions an effort to expel urine.

I wish it was that simple but. I he is quite clearly ejaculating he ate a little bit today but his eyes are still weepy and he's all hunched up. I've tried to give him antibiotics but he won't swallow them. I'm not sure he'll pull through his urine looks completely normal.

oral antibiotics can be dangerous for rabbits, as it can kill their gut flora and cause them to go off food. if your guy is already not eating, it's probably not a good idea. i would spring for some Pen-G, an injectable antibiotic that you can get at the feed store. you only need like .01ccs, the first line on a standard 3ml syringe. it's easier on their tummy and works very well. honestly though, his still not eating is way more concerning to me. i would really be trying to get him to eat something. you may need to grind up his pellets and mix them with water and syringe them down his throat. force-feeding is stressful, but he's critital right now. if you can get your hands on critical care, that'd be even better. will he drink? putting some electrolytes in his water is pretty important as well. the clear, flavourless pedialyte is what i use. you can syringe him this too if he won't drink on his own.

if there's a clear difference between him urinating and him ejaculating, i would maybe worry about something wrong with his prostate? i'm not sure how common those issues are in rabbits but i've heard of enlarged prostates causing similar issues in humans. that would be another thing you'd need a vet to find out, though.

It's very important to keep him eating and drinking, like shazza said. I'll, however, speak against syringing pellets just because it's plain difficult. I've had a few occasions over the years where I've had to force feed, and pellets never worked for me. Canned pumpkin, dilluted with just enough water to make it sort of syrupy, syringed, has been my go to. It's kept more than one rabbit alive long enough for them to get back on their feet. Usually they like it enough that they'll take it willingly.

Water intake is harder. If you have to syringe it, be careful that he doesn't aspirate any of it. I keep a lactated ringers around for emergencies but they can be a little more difficult to get your hands on.

Back