Meet Penny!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The $3k pea hen :roll: :?

IMG_1069.JPG

DH's gpa has one remaining peacock that is possibly 30 years old or more... I have been trying to find him a mate off and on for years, but oh my the $$$!

Drove 2 hours to pick her up! (Only $45, technically ;) ). She is about 3 years old and free range, surviving coyotes and owls - which is exactly the case for the male we got her for! My biggest hesitation getting him a mate was her survival (especially as much as most people charge for them!)

Suburban stalled at the stoplight taking the lady's exit. Hmmmm... I have had issues in the past if it running out of gas randomly (gauge is off) but I was still showing over 1/4 of a tank! Had issues the whole way home... sputtering and jerking if I had to slow down. I milked it all the way home, coasting up to red lights in hopes I wouldnt have to fully stop. Made it all the way back to town and it went kaput. Sputter, jerk, revvvvvvv! Craaap. Restarted twice and made it of of thye mainhwy into a parking lot. Towed it to the shop expecting it to be bad gas or a clogged filter (270k miles on it, has always had a tendency to gum up and I had just used fuel treatment a few days prior). General consensus was a fuel pump would have left me stranded in Raleigh, they don't give you warning. Wrong! Fuel pump AND transmission. I was supposed to be towing a trailer on our move to WV next week! DH had prayed for a bubble of protection over us that morning and God provided. Timing stinks since financially we have 2 house payments, just paid DH's tuition, just put down new flooring, moving in 7 days... BUT it happened before we hit 81 with a trailer load of stuff and I also somehow miraculously made it home (myself and 4children).

Won't Gpa's peacock be pleased!

Nice of you to go to all that trouble -- and doesn't it just figure that your good deed came back to bite you. :?

Good luck with the big move and I'm looking forward to your updates in the weeks to come. Also would like to hear how the peacock lovers are getting along.

Long-lived poultry brings its own problems. I bought an expensive pair of Pilgrim geese in 2006, hoping to breed Pilgrims. With the Pilgrim female I hatched out the year before under a broody, that should have given us a good trio for breeding. Geese can live 20 years under the right circumstances. Mine never bred well, so no goslings, but the geese themselves were a joy. Just one left now. Elsie is eleven years old and is the sweetest thing. But I don't want to get more geese because of my age and mobility problems. She hangs out with the chickens and seems content, but I sometimes feel bad for her.

So I'm glad to hear that Gpa's peacock now has a mate. :)

Peahens are just as lovely as the cocks. Where we stayed in Puerto Rico years ago had a resident blue peacock and all his peahens were white!!! Pretty neat. They loved eating my chex mix in the mornings, LOL!

I had contemplated raising a flock, they are beautiful birds! I hope to get something set up when we get back to NC! She is so quiet the peacock hasn't even found her yet. I haven't heard a peep out of her - the lady said she was quiet!

Back