Herd Decisions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferra

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to bounce some ideas around about who to keep/cull in an upcoming "reorganization". I have things all planned to fly down to the southern US in early November, and pick up some honest to goodness French Angora to import back home. :p

However, this process will create a bit of a "bottleneck" were I will have very limited cage space while the new acquisitions are in quarantine, so I have to pare down my existing meat mutt herd, and I was hoping to bounce some thoughts about this off you fine people.

The way I plan quarantine (3 holes moved to garage, 3 must be empty in main rabbit shed for angoras to go into) it will leave two primary holes, and two grow out cages for my existing herd to fit into during the bottleneck.

Right now I have 5 adults (3 bucks, 2 does), and two litters of kits (total: 14 kits, age ~6wk and ~0.5wk)

I don't need that many bucks, for sure. But I'm not sure who to keep just yet. Hops (in-house F1 generation buckling) is my current favorite for keeping - but that does make me feel a little bad for my original herd buck. Given the local market conditions, finding him a new home in another backyard meat herd is unlikely. Culling is likely terminal in this case. But I like his son a bit better for body/overall size. The main downside is Hops is not yet a proven breeder, I will be testing that next week, and I SHOULD have an answer before the new angoras are out of quarantine. If I delay my actual downsizing as long as possible, I *should* be able to know if Hops is a proven breeder before I make the final decision. Still - feels like I'm cutting this a bit close. There won't be time to retest if the doe doesn't take.

And then, of my does, Jet stays. She's my little F1 "skunk" kit. (Black otter VM) Her first litter is doing really well, she's performing about as well as my other doe, Mithril, did with her first litter. Only downside is that there might be one kit in the litter prone to stress seizures? There was some weirdness with one of the kits last week. Anyhow, Jet is a favorite, and is getting a spot on the roster.

My other doe, Mithril, is small, but a really good mother. Downside - she's also a bit of a holy terror. Her 4 litter history reads as "Demon, demon, sweetheart, demon." Part of me wants to keep all of her doe kits from this litter in one of my grow out cages, and then select a replacement from those once the "bottleneck" is over. I'm a little afraid I would be figuratively killing the goose that lays the golden egg, though, as Mithril IS my best producer to date, but I don't have the cage space to hold over more than 2 adults, really. (For clarification, the "Grow out" cages mentioned are >6 feet off the floor and require a step ladder to access- I can't really handle moving full size rabbits in and out without risking a fall - they're somewhat cages of last resort, but work okay if I'm only lifting <5lbs of squirming rabbit, not 8-10lbs.)

This is a bit of a puzzle. Any thoughts?

Any chance of picking up a couple of second-hand dog crates to ease the cage situation? No good for youngsters, but full-grown rabbits can't get out and if you lay the crate on its side, it give a lot of floor space. They're handy to have around in any case -- and fold flat when not in use. I retrofitted a couple with 1/2"x1" floor wire attached a couple of inches off the floor to make them more or less self-cleaning.

Ozarkansas":34q8st0y said:
You could build more cages :p That's what I do when I run out of room ;)
Two problems: First, shed is at capacity with a total of 10 holes (including the grow out cages of last resort), and if I violate the "Rabbits are an outside pet" rule, I may find myself in trouble with the spouse.

Second, I got my hands on some really nice, low gauge wire cages mid-year, and now I am loathe to build anything out of what I can get locally because they just seem so flimsy! But the supplier I got these cages from doesn't really do "fast" in the "cheap, good, fast - pick two" idiom. So unlikely to get good ones here before I leave for my Angora pick-up.

I'll look into Maggie's Dog crate idea - if nothing else, I could purpose those into my quarantine units, and keep a few more spaces free in the shed. A quick search of the local second-hand market suggests some big ones can be had for around $50.

I'm going to try to reduce my herd as little as possible here, because I'm really starting to see some things I like in my weird little mutts. For those raising nice, type-y show rabbits, please don't laugh too loud, but this guy is a nice improvement upon his Heinz 57 colony-rabbit parents, even despite his less-than-stellar posing abilities. :) I'd hate to have to take a couple steps backwards.

Hops.png

I made the hard decision to sell my whole meat rabbit herd to focus on my Magpie Harlequins .... BEST decision I have made!!

I suggest culling hard to your bare breeders (1buck, 2 does)... don't worry about proven or not as it appears you can easily replace with what is available in the market (if you can't sell your buck, chances are the market is saturated with good animals)

You will feel a lot better about your rabbitry and lighter knowing you are down to the basics.

HOPS is a nice looking rabbit...

The wire dog crates work really well as cages (especially temporary) if you add the bottom cage wire as Maggie suggested!

Ferra":29jhpt2q said:
I'm going to try to reduce my herd as little as possible here, because I'm really starting to see some things I like in my weird little mutts. For those raising nice, type-y show rabbits, please don't laugh too loud, but this guy is a nice improvement upon his Heinz 57 colony-rabbit parents, even despite his less-than-stellar posing abilities. :) I'd hate to have to take a couple steps backwards.

I raise 'nice type-y show rabbits' but I also raise meat mutts. And I have to admit I love them :oops: I will get some pics of my mutts when I get home.

Check your Face Book Buy and Sell pages for some really cheap Rabbit and dog cages. I see them all the time here in Illinois. Remember the price posted is always negotiable.

Well, Maggie, I took your advice:

I now have an extra quarantine cage I am calling The Pop-Up Bunny Barracks. I decided for expediency's sake, to buy new and forgo hunting for a bargain dog crate - though that could have been an option if I weren't 1.5-2wks from bringing home my new animals.

Stats:
Amazon Basics Single door folding metal dog crate (30inch) $45.14 CDN
Home Hardware 30" by 10 foot 1"x0.5" 16 gauge wire (Used <2 feet) $6.09 CDN

Ended up costing more than a new cage, but the folding part is super spiffy. If someone were to get the two-door model crate, they DO come with dividers, so hypothetically, it could be a double-occupancy Bunny Barracks.

PopUpBunnyBarracks.png

PopUpBunnyBarracks2.png

I've got it set up inside the front door. Since my flight lands at ~1am, I've negotiated for a ~9 hour exception to the "Fuzzy things go outside" rule. I am going to want some sleep before getting to heavily into my bunny-wrangling.

That's a perfect bunny quarantine! It can be set up when needed and then hopefully put away when it's not needed. It'd also be good for rabbit shows, wouldn't it?

Someone dropped off a pair of two hole home made hutches here which were going to be only used for quarantine. Seems since they're permanent hutches, they got permanent residents, at least in two of them. May have to deploy some young bucks into the other two 'quarantine' holes. Oh well! If there's bunnies, there's bunny hutches.

Back