Register

Blue Silver Fox Can NOT Produce Black Silver Foxes?

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 520.00

Blue Silver Fox Can NOT Produce Black Silver Foxes?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby OldEnglishSilvers88 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Title says it all. Someone told me that blue silvered Silver Foxes can not produce black silvered Silver Fox when bred to another blue silvered. I believe this to be correct, am I?

I hopefully have a litter due this 30th. Both parents are pedigreed blue silvered Silver Foxes. This will be the buck's first litter but not the doe's. Buck's parents are a chocolate silvered (sire) and black silvered (dam). Doe's parents are lilac silvered (sire) and blue silvered (dam). Also, blue silvereds can not produce chocolate silvereds when bred together right? I only have black silvered and blue silvered Silver Foxes as I do not believe in the other colors. So in this litter I will get blue silvered and maybe lilac silvered since the doe carries for it and the buck must too since he has chocolate linage right?

Thanks! :D
" Forever traditional, always original"

- Old English Silvers

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,206.00

Re: Blue Silver Fox Can NOT Produce Black Silver Foxes?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 am

Sounds like you'll probably get mostly blues, maybe lilacs. No chocolates or blacks
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 245.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MeadowView » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:59 am

It sounds like you have two blues who both for sure carry chocolate, so you should get blues and lilacs, most likely 50/50.

Two blues bred together cannot produce a black or a chocolate. When you breed two dilutes together, you'll get nothing but dilutes.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Black/blue/choc/lilac are the only color genetics I know!

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 520.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby OldEnglishSilvers88 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Relent gave me 7 beautiful blue silvereds on October 1, 2017. :D It's Solitaire's first litter. He's a good dad. Haha.
" Forever traditional, always original"

- Old English Silvers

BunnyBucks: 205.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Shan_non » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 pm

OldEnglishSilvers88 wrote:Relent gave me 7 beautiful blue silvereds on October 1, 2017. :D It's Solitaire's first litter. He's a good dad. Haha.

Awesome! Congratulations.
What if I crossed 2 blues that -to my knowledge- don't carry chocolate? Would I get only blues and lilacs with no chance of chocolate or black?

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,206.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:59 pm

blue x blue can never make chocolate or black. If they carry chocolate, they can make lilac (the chocolate version of blue), but if they dont carry chocolate youll get all blues
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
Shan_non