hard boiled eggs--color and ease of peeling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
If you keep chickens you know how hard it can be peeling hard boiled eggs if the ones you used were really fresh. I used to set aside a dozen and let them age a week or 2 and then boil them. But sometimes I forget ;) My sister gave me the hint to put a pinch of baking powder in the water and that helps. But then I noticed that there was a persistent difference in how eggs peeled depending on color. We have brown eggs (from golden comets) white eggs (brown leghorns) and blue/green eggs (amauricana) Now I keep the browns for other uses because they always peel hardest. The whites aren't quite as easy as the colored but are close. So I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this, and if so whether it is more the breed or the color. That is, are all brown eggs harder to peel?
You can tell the growing season is winding down since I have time to post such irrelevant questions :)

Don't know about the color thing but...We raise ducks and you can't peel them with a chainsaw! :x We learned a few years ago to put baking soda in the water not powder and they come right out of the shell. :) Yup, I'm bored today too. :lol:

Interesting thought, I get a rainbow of eggs but haven't noticed any correlation between color and ease of peeling. ;)

I did learn, though, to use a slotted spoon to put them straight into water at a rolling boil and then boil them that way for ten minutes. Into ice water to cool and they'll peel up like a dream.

It totally goes against all egg-boiling lore but it works! :lol:

My white eggs were always harder to peel than my cream, brown & colored eggs
I don't think there is as much correlation with color
But older eggs tend to peel MUCH easier than fresh eggs; I usually use my fresher eggs for frying or scrambling or baking and my older ones for hard boiled eggs. So old, store bought eggs tend to peel better than farm fresh eggs

I peel one end and slip a spoon in between the egg and remaining shell and gently turn, the egg pops right out of the shell once you go round all the way. It was a way to deal with hard to peel, fresh, quail egg size eggs. They use to drive me mental. :lol:

Steam the eggs for 12 min (adjust time according to size of egg and desired yolk hardness). Remove and immediately into ice water. Overcooking turns colour off. Leaving them sit without shocking in cold water, will allow them to keep cooking in the shell, making the colour off. Once you steam (properly), you never go back to boiling, especially for fresh eggs. Always shock in the coldest water available, preferably ice water, especially when not eating right away. Never leave egg in the shell if you want easier peeling. Also peel kind of in the water so it slips off easier instead of in the air.

Latest posts

Back