Welp, my first suprise litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
So I went to give water just now and oh my dead kits in the group doe cage!!!
I searched as well as I could, found 5 live, 4 dead, 1 uneaten placenta. Some of the live have some wounds on em though. The mother is Barbie, there was blood on her genitals. I had noticed she was letargic the last few days but I hadnt though of palpating her since I didnt breed her, but I remember one of my bucks, Edward, squeezed his way in before. Oh well, I juggled some bunnies around, not easy since I dont rly have the room since I'm awaiting 3 births already. I managed to give her a cage, and made her a nest. Pulled some of her fur to cover the kits since what she had pulled in the group cage got dirty. Messes my plans a bit since I was planning to breed her this coming 30th with Edward no less.... I guess I got what I wanted early? I'll go check later how many are still alive, I dunno if she'll take em after all this, she an unproven first time mom and whatever happens I can't hold it against her all things considered. No pictures yet since this took me by suprise and they went through enough as it is.

Went to check on em, all were alive still, though not all were fed. One fell out of the nest though, wich means she did try to feed em.
For now, I secured the nest box a bit more so they don't fall out again. Hard to do anything else since my nesting cages are already occupied so I'm trying to make things as good as possible in a cage I did no design for this. I'm not updating my website yet since their future is still uncertain. One even had a rip through it's skin near the genitals, the muscle being exposed, looks like it scabbed over for now, but my hopes aren't too good.

Wish em luck.

So I went to check on em, all 5 are still alive, some were well fed. So I took some pics, not gonna update my website for a few days though, just to be sure.

The one in the fetus position in the second pic I am 95% sure will die. It's the one who had the open wound near the genitals

2itk606.jpg

ofeqw.jpg

Here's a shot of his wound, some hay bits got stuck on the open wound and I dont dare try to clean it out of fear of making it worse. He's bruised on the butt and also the dark patch on his right back feet (left for us on the picture) is another bruise.

28h3ms2.jpg

And here's another one with wounds, this one should be fine though. It's the biggest one of the litter.

jkdb28.jpg

So the 5th one who I was sure was going to die, he did. So that's that, 4 left.

I cant know for sure, but it probly went something like this:
- Barbie started wanting to make her nest in a corner of the cage,
-the babies not having any form of walls to keep them in wandered off (I found them spread around in a 2 meter radius from the "nest" corner)
-Most either got stepped on or startled a different doe who in turn bit him. Being steped on can cause the skin to rip cause of a claw along with other damages.
- One fell between the door and the floor to Pipo's cage bellow. Pipo's a good boy though so he didnt bother it.
-Theres a hole in the mesh in the "nesting" corner so I found one in the poop collecting tray.
-Found one still near the "nest"
-Found the others far out. The one who died today was the furthest from the nest who was still alive.

The mom is an english angora. I suspect either Edward or Trésor is the father (most likelly Edward I think). Edward is a lionhead/netherland dwarf mix while Trésor is a lionhead mixed with a short hair BEW of unknown breed.

Trésor is on my cull list, all depends on the litter that'll be born in 4 days. If I have a double mane chocolate or lilac (no agouti allowed) then Trésor will be leaving my herd. If not he'll be on standby until I do get such a baby from him.
Barbie is very important for my mirage lionheads project since she'll introduce the fluffy ears I want.
Edward is also very important since he is so small in other to compensate the bigger size of the english angora.

__________ Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:03 pm __________

Went to check on em. One of em seems to have a new wound on his side. Barbie probly stepped on him or something, doesn't look life threatening for now so we'll see.

I'm kinda disapointed but I guess I'll breed Chichi to Boulette insted of Barbie to Edward for this month.

__________ Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am __________

I'm starting to feel this litter is going to be neverending stress for me.
So atm her nest box is a roofless 1 feet tall box. This makes it the nest with the highest jump to do for the rabbit. It's all I had on hand to make her a safe nest with at the time and since the walls are so high you wouldnt expect a kit to fall out. When I was counting kits one was missing. Well she managed to pull out one of her babies making it fall out of the nest. Looking for it, I could not find it at all, I was starting to think she ate it. It was only when she stood up that I saw it. She was laying down on him to keep him warm! She realised it got out so she pulled some fur for him, but the kit crawled away making it pointless so she just covered him herself.
My hearth :doc: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:31 pm __________ <br /><br /> So 6 days later, pretty easy to tell who got the dwarf gene so I'm sure Edward is the dad. The still got wounds, especially the grey one on his side, but I'm pretty sure they'll be fine now.

2vb8nk8.jpg

Is it just me or 2 of em look slightly yellow? What color is that?
21o69aw.jpg

Also 2 of my planned litters happened today. I'm kinda rly disapointed with em. I doubt I got what I was looking for on top of these litters being smaller then I'm used to with my rabbits. (6 to 9 being normal for me)

Sia's; I was looking for a chocolate or lilac double mane of any sex. Only 1 out of em is a double and it doesnt look to be either colors to me.
hrigbl.jpg

Lolita's; was looking for a black based tricolor double mane female. Only one single mane, but it happens to be the only broken black based one. There's a black based tortoise but I doubt that one will be tricolor.
2vwd747.jpg

Maleficent":1ysegdvg said:
AH, I'm sorry to hear all your troubles
they're not rly troubles, just disapointments. Better luck next time is all.

The only single mane in lolita's turned into a beautiful spotted tricolor like I expected.
Sia's only double mane I cant tell the color of, its dark grey with a VERY strong chocolate shine in the light. Gonna have to wait on this one.
Barbie's 4 babies are doing well, with the difference between non-dwarf and dwarf kits getting bigger every day
Nikita finally gave birth 3 days late, 3 babies, 2 BEW, 1 vienna marked blue, wasnt expecting anything from this litter, it was just to calm her heat mood swings. I'm happy with em.

Will take new pics in a few days

Latest posts

Back