Register

Working life span of an Angora Rabbit?

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,725.00

Working life span of an Angora Rabbit?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am

Have run across the information that the useful fiber life of an Angora is only 2 years and have been wondering about that.

None of my rabbits - albeit not Angora - have ever felt anything other than fluffy, no mater what age, and when they blow their coats they have filled the entire space with fluff so I know they ALWAYS have plenty of fur.

So it this fact or fiction please?

I don't mind eating my 2 year olds if its true but it would be nice to keep my wool/breeder/pet bunnies longer than that. Esp. as some of my meaties hung round usefully for years.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,461.00

Re: Working life span of an Angora Rabbit?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm

They do coarsen as they age, but I still use the wool from my 6 year old doe.
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Quality French Angoras*

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:22 pm

PSFAngoras wrote:They do coarsen as they age, but I still use the wool from my 6 year old doe.

Good to know, we had an 8 year old New Zealand who gave litters like clockwork her entire life.

How much change is there? Would it be to a degree that its owner use only or a grade % thing if selling?

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,461.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:12 pm

Honestly it would range on a rabbit to rabbit basis. My doe i spoke of started out with a coarser coat, I’ll probably be saving her wool for my use before too long, it’s still softer than sheep wool, but it’s not quite what people think of when they invision Angora. Her brother on the other hand, had a very soft coat and his fur would have been sellable for many more years had he not passed away this spring. I’m breeding towards a little bit softer coated rabbit so they’ll be great woolers no matter their age.
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Quality French Angoras*

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 660.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby hotzcatz » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 am

There's a buck here who's almost 8 years old and his wool is about as soft as it was when he was a year old. It's not quite as dense as it used to be, but that's actually a good thing since it used to be so dense that it was hard to harvest.

Post Number:#6  Unread postby GBov » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 am

Lovely! I am so glad it isn't a hard and fast rule. A relief really as my daughter has hit the age where she wants to keep everybunny . :roll: