Register

Young kit injured, what now? Please help. *GRAPHIC*

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
2 years of membership2 years of membership
South Africa
BunnyBucks: 2,433.00

Re: Young kit injured, what now? Please help. *GRAPHIC*

Post Number:#16  Unread postby LittleFluffyBunnies » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:01 am

The vet gave her an antibiotic injection, but said no to oral antibiotics because of the gut issues, which is a good thing.

I am slightly concerned about the wound today. It is still dry and has no swelling, and doesn't seem to be warm, but it's smelling a little bit. Should I be worried?
Breeding pet Dwarf and Dwarf Angora rabbits. A rabbit fanatic!
LittleFluffyBunnies Rabbitry-Breeding Quality Dwarf Rabbits in South Africa
http://www.littlefluffybunnies.weebly.com
https://www.instagram.com/littlefluffybunnies/

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,105.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby alforddm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:23 am

Probably not a bit of smell is normal. It's the "stanky" oozy stuff you need to worry about.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
Australia Female
BunnyBucks: 391.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby aussiegirl » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:34 am

I have the odd kit loose a limb from overzealous cleaning from mums when born but not very often. I was however EXTREMELY upset and shocked by one of my so called experienced does as she has had 5 litters with no issues other than lack of fur pulling until her latest litter about 1 week ago.

I normally bring this does litter along with some others inside at night due to lack of fur & being pretty cold the last few nights, on the 5th morning when I took the kits to this particular doe she jumped straight into the nest & fed the kits like normal, I went back into the shed 10 min later to check that no kits got dragged out onto the wire. I was Horrified to say the least & felt so sorry for this poor kit as it would of been the worst way to go, I found the kit on the wire (or what was left of the poor kit - just a partially skinned head & half a neck bone, everything else was gone), when I grabbed what was left I freaked the head & neck moved & just kept twitching.

Previous