Weird mites, what are they?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
One of my rabbits has mites that:
They are whitish, and Look smaller than a grain of salt, very tiny, I can only see them with two pairs of glasses on. ANd they crawl around really FAST in his fur.
His fur doesn't seem affected- there is no missing fur at all which is weird?
and his skin doesn't seem affected either- there is no flakeyness.

I looked at all sorts of pictures of fur mites, lice, ear mites, and mange and they don't look like any of them.

Does anyone know what they might be?

sounds like lice or mites. i don't usually worry about what type they are, just getting rid of them. sounds like your bunny needs a round of ivermectin

Staying very much on the rabbits? There are tons of not parasitic mites that love hay, grains, etc... Grain mites are little white pains in the rear with how they multiply but usually they require some moisture. Usually I got a type of red spider mite off the hay from my mom's land that irritated the skin of guinea pigs to the point one developed infection and ultimately died. This place has a ton of mites too. I have red ones, white ones, grey ones, black ones, larger ones, barely visible ones.... Stick my dirt behind glass and it's crazy. Luckily the parasitic ones are balanced by the predatory ones that eat other mites. So far the bird mites I recognize from having chickens have not infested my doves but the rodent mites sometimes I have to get extra predator mites to where the rodent mites have managed to make a concentration and I think my puppy is having problems with near invisible demodex mites that only attack immature immune systems. Yep, lots of mites out there. Best thing to do is watch their behavior, areas of concentration, and what they might be coming into the area on for clues of what they are actually living off of than try to visual ID from a description or all the pics online. Once you see some live ones moving around for yourself you can usually ID them later and keep track of what lives or travels on what.

Latest posts

Back