16 day old kit with one eye stuck shut?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfb4me

Reaction score
Hello everyone! our kits are now 16 days old and they are grownig fast! We have one kit that has an eye stuck shut still. Is this somthing that will fix itself or should we do somthing for it? There doesnt look to be an infection, it just looks like it never did open from birth.

you will need to use a warm damp washcloth to open it gently. might need to treat with ophthalmic antibiotic ointment (not the regular neosporin variety)

Tea, either black or chamomile, works even better than warm water. The tea soothes and has antibacterial properties. You can apply with a cotton ball or the tea bag itself. Don't rub! Just hold it against the eyelid and let the moisture soften the gunk holding hte eye shut. You may have to gently open the eye manually. Often, once the eye is well opened, it requires no further treatment, but sometimes there will be an infection requiring the ointment mentioned.

You definitely need to open it or risk getting serious "nest box" eye.

A warm compress helps to soften the gunk that is holding it shut then treat it with some antibiotic ointment to prevent it from getting stuck shut again.

the only reason I mentioned the ointment was because this kit is about 4 days longer than I normally deal with the problem. If I have one with just one eye shut, or the whole litter has eyes open and one's eyes are shut, I go ahead and open it. Have never needed the ointment when it is done that early.

I agree with you about when to intervene, XLT. And I use the ointment if necessary, but I am a minimalist when it comes to medications of any type. Just a difference in styles, not a criticism of your advice. :)

Good news! By the time I got out there it was open..Now I cant find wich one it was. These things grow so fast..

Back