Advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
So I recently came across the opportunity to get two Netherland does for $30 for both or $20 if I get only one or the other. They are a mother daughter pair and in talking to the person the mother is 4-5 years old and I never did find out the daughter's age or if she had ever been bred. Not necessarily a deal breaker. The mother is very tempting as she looks like either a black otter or possibly even a silver marten. Originally I was only thinking about getting the daughter as she looks to have Vienna markings. I will be going to the next town over tomorrow to do health checks and make a final decision.

00f0f_2_Ruas_Ui7_ASs_600x450.jpg

This is the daughter, she looks like a Vienna which caught my interest originally. I got to looking at her and her head shape looks off for Nethie but that could just be the angle/marking throwing me off or she is a mix breed of some kind. I may pass on her as my mentor (as I call her) and friend has offered me a Vienna marked kit from her black otter buck and bew doe. Both Nethies.

00a0a_46_NEEk_KUz_WK_600x450.jpg

This is mom, not the best quality image but when I showed her image to my friend she got excited at the possibility of her being a silver marten. She advised me if I was to pick either one of them I should go with her.

What do you guys think?

The daughter does NOT look pure Netherland Dwarf. The mom may be though. If you plan on showing you should look for a reputable breeder. But if you just plan on fun pets the mom looks pretty good to me.

The person I am contemplating getting them from said she was downsizing and had another rabbit for sale as well. Said it was a rex but it looked to be another mix as the whiskers were not curled like they should be for a rex. I'm not really looking to show (at least not yet though I was presented with an opportunity to go with my friend to a fair where her daughter is going to show guinea pigs, I was going to go to see if showing was for me) but I think I will pick up mom at least as a favor for my friend. I know she was looking for a silver marten Nethie and would probably want to breed to her. If she isn't a Silver Marten she would be just fine if she were another black otter.

Maleficent, if you're just looking for non-breeding pets, good health and temperament are the most important things.

If, however, you are thinking of breeding and/or showing, beware of someone selling off mixed-breed offspring--especially if they are labelling them as a certain breed when they are obviously mixed. Even if you don't mind the mix, it speaks poorly of the seller's knowledge and/or ethics--which would be huge red flags for me.

MaggieJ":1q93turr said:
Maleficent, if you're just looking for non-breeding pets, good health and temperament are the most important things.

If, however, you are thinking of breeding and/or showing, beware of someone selling off mixed-breed offspring--especially if they are labelling them as a certain breed when they are obviously mixed. Even if you don't mind the mix, it speaks poorly of the seller's knowledge and/or ethics--which would be huge red flags for me.

Which is why I'm only going to go look at them. Check health and stuff. If they do have a rabbitry I may request to see the rest of their stock. I know to check teeth and hips as those can be health concerns. If they seem evasive and seem to avoid my questions ilk probably pass. If I go to the fair/convention (read if I manage to get the weekend off from my new job) I'll try to find something there with the added benefit of Mt friend giving her opinions and or advice.

At this point final decisions have not been made and I was sure to inform the person I will make a final decision after seeing the pair. Or mom at least.

I'd ask to see the father too so you can know more about the daughter since she's very likelly not pure.

As for the mom, from the picture she looks gorgeous, but she's a bit old maybe, so although you like the color you'll have to think of retiring her within 2-3 years. If you're fine with that then it comes to when you go see em.

So I ended up picking up the doe, she was a silver marten and a little on the large size but would make a good broody. Luckily I know someone with a nice buck to shrink her down. I'm also fine with her older age as there was always plans to replace her with a daughter eventually. For now she can breed a few more years before being retired.

On a side note I'll be doing my first full tomorrow, I'll be joining my friend and another lady as they cull some rabbits and guinea pigs. I'll bring my cull doe along as I have decided I need to make space for the new girl. I'll find other if this whole cull and eat rabbit thing really is for me. As Andrea doesn't normally save pelts I'll ask if I can keep the pelts from some unknown most likely polish mixes she has for practice tanning.

Maleficent":31l662o3 said:
I'll be joining my friend and another lady as they cull some rabbits and guinea pigs. I'll bring my cull doe along as I have decided I need to make space for the new girl. I'll find other if this whole cull and eat rabbit thing really is for me.
Keep in mind not everyone culls their rabbits the same way. My friend knocks em out with a hammer then cuts off the head before skinning and cleaning the carcass.
Knocking will damage the pelt, same thing with a bb gun.
Due to my dad's friend who wanted a couple rabbits done "his way" I've had to cut off the neck of a couple rabbits and I hated it. He wanted me to keep the fur on, cut the head off, open the belly to clean out the inside and then hang it from the feet (fur still on) for a couple days outside x.x I hated, HATED! doing that.
It was such messy work, it felt so awfull with that blood pouring out into the fur wich I'd have to clean out later before I could even freeze it along with losing the head of the pelt. The pelt being on still, made it very hard to clean the insides properly and after the few days hanging the pelt was badly stained and weirdly dried. EWW. Since then I've told him if he wants rabbits they have to be done my way if I do it or he can grab the live rabbit and do it himself. He chose to let me do my way.
You saw my video, the way I do it, there's little to no blood the whole time skinning. When I clean the carcass I clean the belly and only chop off the head when I reach cleaning the lungs and throat. When I chop the head I'm done at that point, so I can clean the blood that's spilling right away. I leave em soaking in water a minute or 2 too to help clear some of the blood that bruised the neck and it's rdy to freeze.

Anyways, just keep in mind depending how they do things, if you have issues it doesnt mean you cant do it, maybe you just need a different method. I also dislike doing many in a same day, especially if there's emotionnal value to a rabbit. So 1 or 2 is my max or I'd start getting tired and upset. It's important to know your limits too.

If you want me to make a video of cleaning the carcass let me know.

wait...what? why on earth would you leave a carcass hanging on a gambrel for days outside??? please tell me you weren't eating those o_____o in general that butcher technique is one of the most bizarre i've ever heard

you can find a market for pelts without the heads, i have a few people every butcher request their rabbit be done as a backhide! they're perfect for crafting, and also much easier to work with if you're just learning to tan. so even if their method removes the head before skinning it, don't be disheartened. take the pelts and practice!

shazza":7w91b7kt said:
wait...what? why on earth would you leave a carcass hanging on a gambrel for days outside??? please tell me you weren't eating those o_____o in general that butcher technique is one of the most bizarre i've ever heard
He's a hunter and he likes "aging" meat that was the point of it. My dad and I were very unconfortable with the idea. The guy did end up eating em, at least he didn't get sick, but no way am I ever doing that again.

The method they use is cervical dislocation with one of those v shaped post things. I think it's called a rabbit wringer? She knows how important my rabit is to me and is going to help me preserve its hide until I can get hold of some alum I think it's called for tanning. I most likely won't end up with the head portion of the pelt but that's fine

Latest posts

Back