Pellet Brand suggestions for a single rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Reaction score
I am trying to find some good pellets for my rabbit. We used Purina and Nutrina Natural brands for years when we had lots of rabbits but now that I have just one I am having trouble finding small bags of rabbit pellets that aren't full of extra stuff and have good nutrients. I tried Show Bloom but she always seemed hungry like it wasn't filling her up.
Any suggestions you have for pellet brands that come in small bags would be helpful.

*just wanted to note that pellets are not her only food source

Depends on what you willing to pay. If the rabbit is a pet you can probable do Oxbow. Its expensive and not formulated for breeders/show or wool rabbits. But is pretty good for pet rabbits I been told. There are also a variety of pet rabbit foods out there in small bags. Perhaps look online as well and see if you can find low or free shipping.

sherwood forest food is really great quality for a pet rabbit, and it's not outrageously expensive. i think it's the same as oxbow in that it's not really good for breeders or woolers, but for a pet it'd be great. best part is they make it all fresh for you so when you get the box in it's SO green and smells fantastic :p but you have to order it online only i think, so you'll need to order it before you need it. it's soy-free and has very few fillers/ingredients.

oxbow is also good if you prefer to buy something in a store. i'm not sure if mazuri has a rabbit food, but in general they make decent foods for other exotics so i'd trust them. i'd avoid kaytee or 8 in 1 or any other pet brand like that as the ingredients will be low quality and they have a lot of recall issues.

Nutrena has some smaller bags and mazuri but really if the quality is plenty good enough why go pay the same amount for a smaller bag? Donate the extra, throw it in the yard for wildlife, split with someone, ask a breeder if you can buy some off them, if you have a chest freezer then freeze it for an extra few months after opening... I've sold slices of hay to end up making more than I bought the 50lb bale for to people getting pets and they still spent less than the store would have charged. I used to waste more in pellets and hay than someone's single rabbit would have eaten and 10x that in horse hay. If anything was slightly inferior or it was just a hard week of weather in winter we'd throw more outside the stable for the wildlife. The wild rabbits were well fed and so were the foxes that denned in the hill lol

Back