Unsure conception

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rex that I thought was a buck who I caged with a lonely lop buck. When the rex buck refused to breed the rex doe, I separated them into solitary cages. The rex buck is actually a rex doe, and she seems to be pregnant to bursting. Obviously I have no idea when the breeding could have happened. I watch them often (the cages are in my bedroom) and never saw a mounting, let alone a fall off. I can tell you I put them in the same cage around August the 1st, and put them in different cages on September 14th. A nearby rabbitry owner confirmed the rex was a doe on Friday, and agreed with my belief that she is very pregnant. My question is, How long do I wait for kindling with such a long range in which she might have bred? Here is a picture I took a few minutes ago, she mainly stays in this position.

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    570.2 KB · Views: 1,298
It is extremely likely she is bred. You do not have to see it be done, it literally takes a couple seconds. I would give her a nest box now and keep it in with her (take it out to clean it if needed though) until October 17th.

:yeahthat:

And then leave it a few days longer, just to be certain. So many times I've heard the sad song: "I decided she didn't take, so I took out the nest box. I lost them all on the wire."

My worry is mostly due to how big she is. When I first put her into a solitary cage I noticed her belly was bigger, and that was nearly 2 weeks ago and now her belly is spilling over my hands when I pick her up. This would be her first pregnancy and the intentionally mated doe of her cagemate just gave birth to 7 kits on her first pregnancy.
If she has stuck kits, there are no vets around here who know anything about rabbits. I know, I called them all when I lost half of my first try at breeding.

Dont worry too much, give her time and a nest box like Maggie and Oazarkansas said and wait it out.

Get her a nest box... 'quick'.. LOL..
and like Maggie says, leave it with her a few extra days.

If she's a young doe, the number of kits she'll have is (any-number)..
I doubt a kit will get 'stuck'... if so, most generally the doe will 'pull' it.
It's usually an older doe that's been open a while that'll have an oversized kit.

Don't be surprised with a first-litter doe if she's not successful, and loses the litter.
It's nothing you've done wrong.. .. @$#% happens... :x
Keep an eye on her... but don't be a nuisance about it :).
Just stick to your normal routine and she'll do fine.

Best of luck to you.

Grumpy.

Latest posts

Back