Rabbit Loss

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakotakelm

Reaction score
In March last year I came on this site with my two 4 week old lion heads Theo and Snow.
Tonight Snow has passed away it was so sudden not 2 hours ago she was right as rain eating away like everyday. The next she is squeaking in pain and convulsing like a seizure I ran to get a towel and when I came back she was still and gone. I picked her and noticed her bottom was bloody and parts of her cage were bloody too I've never seen this with her before until tonight. She never stopped eating or drinking never acted different and now she's gone. :( I feel so bad wishing I could have done something anything to have changed what happen :cry: She was so young.....
Tomorrow I will be looking for a vet for Theo to make sure he's alright i live in a small town our vets don't take rabbits.

I'm sorry for the sad post.

I'm so sorry, Dakotakelm. :cry: It's always tough to lose a pet and you must have felt so helpless, seeing Snow like that. With no warning that anything was amiss and her problem so sudden and severe, there really was nothing you could have done to save her. I do hope you don't add to your sadness by blaming yourself. (((HUGS)))

Update we took Theo into the vet asap and said he was in great health.
Woke up this morning and Theo was gone he passed in the night he didnt do any of what snow did no blood or did i hear anything its like he fell asleep.... I'm beside myself not knowing why both are now gone. My ball of happy fluff is gone..... I don't know what to do anymore...
What's makes it even harder we were in the process of making a custom homemade rabbit hutch for him and it was almost done he never got to see it..... :cry:

Sorry to hear you lost both of your rabbits.

When you are ready for it, I would suggest asking in another post (or this one) for help in trying to determine the cause of death if it all possible. You sound like you really cared for your rabbits and it would not surprise me if you got another one. It might be beneficial to see if the cause was something environmental which you could change (e.g., some sort of disease they picked up from a used cage, maybe ate a poisonous plant) vs something biological (e.g., the rabbits had some sort of underlying condition).

If you do get new rabbits I would suggest thoroughly cleaning the old rabbit supplies.

What Kenosha says is right.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Rabbits are fragile and sometimes we cant see anything. Was he near Snow's cage normally? Maybe the stress of losing her presence and then going to the vet made him depressed.

It will be a while before I feel up to having another rabbit Theo was a good boy he gave kisses and knew when bedtime was when I called I'm torn up inside with his loss.... the only thing deffernt in the last month was a new cat and cat tree I always watch Theo and the new cat they had no problems with each other I don't know if maybe he chewed on the cat tree or not he was good about that not chewing on non toy things.
Him and Snow were 7ft apart from each other and we're always together in the same home but never out at the same time. I did see he was looking depressed after snow died for awhile he wouldn't eat his hay and only took his pellets or come to the cage door. So I got a fresh batch of hay and gave less pellets and lots of more attention slowly he perked up so I slowly broght up his food back to what it was before a hand full of pellets with his old fashioned oats and his hay rack. He was doing so good....

I'm wondering if Snow and Theo were related and if, perhaps, there was some kind of inherited weakness that they both suffered from. It's not really possible to check -- unless the breeder can supply additional information.

If I were you, I'd phone and talk to the vet, to see if he or she can offer any insight.

They were brother and sister

__________ Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 am __________

We believe Theo had a heart attack... He was eating and drinking fine his poop was normal that's all we can think of... I miss him so much every time I walk by where his cage use to be I expect him to be waiting for me it breaks my heart missing his kisses his happy jumps...
I wish I could have been there with him when he went to say goodbye hoping he wasn't in pain.
They were my first buns and I feel like I failed them was I not doing something right was I not feeding them the right food or using the right bedding I know things like this happen but to both my buns this year.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts maybe one day I will feel better to have another bun but the loss of both my babies in just a couple months hurts deeply.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1506609325248.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506609325248.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 2,749
Don't feel like you failed!! Rabbits are extremely delicate creatures. Dogs and cats are a lot more hardy than rabbits, so if you lose you first 2 dogs or cats at a young age you were probably doing something wrong. But don't beat yourself over rabbits! Yeah it hurts to lose your pets, but it will only make it worse if you blame yourself.

Back