And a whole new problem

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I've mentioned this doe before when she got out from an unexpected visitor. Well now there is a new problem, but I have no idea what could be wrong now. I was suspicious of something being wrong when she didn't greet me for breakfast, and has been a bit standoffish most of the morning. She also only kinda struggled when I picked her up and flipped her over, which is also unusual for her. She seems very uncomfortable, and there is this red liquid that is probably blood but I suppose could possibly still be red urine somehow. She was bred to a buck roughly three weeks ago, but I didn't think it actually took. Could she be aborting a pregnancy? What could this be? It's only the liquid I can find, and it's matted down some fur it soaked into. What should I do? Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_20170922_120757.jpg
    IMG_20170922_120757.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 1,331
  • IMG_20170922_120816.jpg
    IMG_20170922_120816.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • IMG_20170922_120839.jpg
    IMG_20170922_120839.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 1,331
I honestly have no idea, I'm sorry :(
I hope someone with more experience has some explication for you.

She could have had a miscarriage. I have had 2 does that I thought were pregnant, but all I ever saw was a small amount of blood around 2-3 weeks. This was before I learned how to palpate so I couldn't tell for sure. You should try to learn how to palpate, It's not that hard. Don't be afraid you will hurt the babies, that is very unlikely unless your being unreasonably ruff.

Well I just checked her again, the red liquid was blood as now it had turned brown, but there isn't any new blood. She also seems to have less discomfort, but I also found a partially see through tiny piece of something coming out of her anus. I'm not sure what it was either, though I suppose it could have possibly been a piece of placenta that got stuck to her anus in a way that made it look as if it were coming from it

-- Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:56 pm --

Ozarkansas":fha9ptxz said:
She could have had a miscarriage. I have had 2 does that I thought were pregnant, but all I ever saw was a small amount of blood around 2-3 weeks. This was before I learned how to palpate so I couldn't tell for sure. You should try to learn how to palpate, It's not that hard. Don't be afraid you will hurt the babies, that is very unlikely unless your being unreasonably ruff.

The thing is that I did palpate and gently did again yesterday, and didn't feel anything either time hence why I didn't think the breeding took

TeaTimeBunnies":2bftmge9 said:
Ozarkansas":2bftmge9 said:

The thing is that I did palpate and gently did again yesterday, and didn't feel anything either time hence why I didn't think the breeding took
:oops: I really have no idea then.

Palpation can have a high failure rate, especially if they didn't develop right. Pictures of litters where the kits came out in various stages of development when slowed or stopped for some reason have been posted and implicated as the cause of dual pregnancy rumors. Usually it's a large litter with some getting outcompeted instead of the entire litter but it's possible they could all fail to get nutrition, not grow, and abort too small to leave much trace. If it's pure blood without discoloration (beyond blood turns brown with age) and not a lot of it then probably not infection or damage that led to excessive internal bleeding but it could become that with limited time of noticed symptoms so far. Not much that can be done with uterine issues though aside from expensive vet care that generally results in a no longer productive doe even if saved. Small things and catching infection early might be treatable for future breeding before too much damage to save the uterus but if it reaches the need for treatment these things have high odds of reoccuring or being passed on as a genetic problem so unless I really needed that litter to work with I'd treat it as one of those cases of if they go downhill instead of recovering on their own it's time to cull. If they aborted for some reason and recover, try again and watch for coat or weight problems that might signal the need for parasite treatment or inability to support the pregnancy on the current diet.

The blood in the picture is all the blood there was during all of this. After observing her on and off all day I do believe that she was likely miss carrying. I couldn't find any fetuses, but I did find that thing that could have been placenta. By the end of the day she was pretty much acting normal again and there was no new blood. While there was blood though she sat with her back legs spread and was kind of angled/ hunched over a few times as if she were giving birth and look as if she were eating a cecotrope on occasion. She would have little spouts of urine semi frequently for about two hours, no matter were she was sitting, as if she was attempting to push something out. That stopped about when the bleeding did and she started acting normal again. I believe I just happened to catch her in the middle of a miscarriage, and she probably ate the fetuses as they came out

Latest posts

Back