Register

Immaculate Conception

Alternative housing for rabbits in groups.
Site Supporter
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,875.00

Immaculate Conception

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Truckinguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I know, it takes a buck and a doe... not sure what happened here. I was butchering some rabbits today and I went out to an area of the colony that had a mother and four daughters. I took one of the daughters out, ran her through a homemade rabbit wringer and hung her up to process. Wasn't I surprised when I opened her up and she was probably about three weeks along with four kits. Not a very happy Truckinguy. Needless to say the rest of them will be separated for a month to see if they are pregnant too and butchering will proceed accordingly.

I had left them longer than I expected due to a busy summer and starting turkey processing but it was just a mother and daughters together so I figured it wasn't a big deal. The section of the colony beside them has a buck in it but he has no access to them except the cage wire between them. Is it possible he is a little sniper and just shooting it at them?? Can they mate up against the wire? I've had rabbits for nearly ten years and I can tell the boys from the girls pretty good. I checked them twice today, grabbed the last one after the first two confirmed to be girls and figured "Okay, YOU'VE got to be the boy" but nope, another girl. I'm a bit perplexed and it sure brought my planned butchering day to a halt.

I guess that begs another question: Can you eat a pregnant doe? Do the hormones make the meat taste any different? These were still young rabbits so she should still be tender.

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,379.00

Re: Immaculate Conception

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Your title was certainly an attention-getter, Truckinguy! :lol:

Some bucks do figure out how to mate through the wire. It requires a very enthusiastic doe, however. I've never heard of anyone who actually has witnessed it, but occurrences like yours do happen now and again.

I see no reason why you should not eat the doe. I know I butchered at least one pregnant doe inadvertently and did not notice any difference in the meat. It would be a shame to let her go to waste. Maybe use a recipe with a flavoured sauce if you are concerned.

You might want to install a layer of hardware cloth over the regular wire between the two enclosures to prevent future problems.
Last edited by MaggieJ on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,770.00

Re: Immaculate Conception

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 am

I had that happen to me with a pig, its a shocker!

The sniper image will now never leave me, thanks for that. :lol: