Members affected by Irma . . . How are you doing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I was worried when Harvey hit Texas and now I'm worrying about our members in the South, especially Florida.

I know a lot of you must be without power, but I hope that you will check in when you are able and let us know how you are. We care.

Irma didn't hit me as bad as it was predicted. I do however have family in Florida. They took some damage, but they are all alive and, as far as I'm aware, none are without homes. My aunt has to wait before bringing her horses back to get house because their barn was demolished, but since she moved her horses they are safe at least

Glad you are safe TeaTime! We have lost 2 rabbits since we got back from evacuating from Harvey. I am not sure whats happening to them other than they were stressed, as we all have been. Once I had know idea on his age so he may have just been too old to handle it. The other I am puzzled about. The rest seem to be doing well, but you know how they are, they dont show much sickness. Fingers are crossed that its not something major going on!

So glad y'all are safe. If there is anything you need, please let your friends here know.

:yeahthat:
It's good to hear that people are recovering from the storms already, this year sure has gone out of its way to keep us all on our toes. So glad you guys are staying safe!

People did loose their homes to Irma. There are 80 total losses and over 200 uninhabitable homes in my county alone due to Irma. I have attached pics of my rabbit enclosure. It has over 2 feet of standing water in it still and had about 3 feet right after the storm. All my rabbits fared well, they rode out the storm in my garage.

Attachments

• 20170916_102251_resized-1.jpg
    20170916_102251_resized-1.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 3,567
  • 20170916_102216_resized.jpg
    20170916_102216_resized.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 3,567
Thank you for posting, AmberRae. It's good to know you and your buns got through it safely. But what a mess to have to deal with! I guess it will take some time for all that water to drain away before you can even begin to deal with the water damage. (((HUGS)))

Thanks Maggie, we don't anticipate too much damage. It will just be putting on the rain boots to tend to the rabbits for a bit :)

Glad to hear from you AmberRae.Happy to hear things didn't go to bad for you. It won't take long with all that sand under your feet to get rid of the water.

Has anyone heard from GBov? If we did I missed it. :oops:

Homer":1a0w0lre said:
Has anyone heard from GBov? If we did I missed it. :oops:

No, she hasn't been online here since last Sunday evening. I admit that worries me -- one of the reasons I started this topic.

__________ Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 am __________

I sent a PM to GBov a little while ago and received a brief reply, so at least we know she's alive and kicking. That in itself is a big relief! It sounds as though they were hit pretty hard, but she didn't give any details, except to say they're slogging on . . . I assume she means with clean-up and repairs.

All her wonderful projects-in-progress! I do hope she can salvage them.

UPDATE! GBov sent a second message. Their house is basically okay, but they've had no power for ten days. The rabbit shed was flattened but the buns are okay. So . . . bad enough, but not so bad as I had first feared.

Hi guys! Just a quick check in from the Library, we still have no power but the buns have faired well. Tree flattened the shed I was so proud of building :roll: but other than some unexpected free time running round the yard, all were fine. When I look at the cages now I cant help think of the old saying "You dont get what you want, you get what you need!" and wondering why the god of rabbits wants me to have cages propped up on anything handy and covered with sheet metal? It seems to be my default setting. :lol:

Counting blessings though, so many faired so much worse than we did. Love to RT and all its lovely people! :D

Homer":q16ipv40 said:
Glad to hear you're OK "G"! We were starting to wonder about ya.... No power stinks but I think you'll get through it. ;) We're already in the 40's at night!

Ooooo I WISH! It doesnt drop below 90 in the house much before 4am. :roll: Ah well, as I tell the kids, at least we are not in a tent! :lol:

Homer":3ncc66zb said:
Give the kids little chores to do to help out when you can. :mrgreen: How old are they?

You're posting more now, did you get your power back yet?

Got it today!!! Whoohooooo! But still no AC. Booooooo. :( The lines coming into the house were damaged and touching somehow. Dont know but at least now that side is good. Fridge is cooling and have taken down all the blown light tubes - yeh, house came with floresent (sp?) bulbs. Off to get breaker for ac, fan for me and bulbs for the house.

One step at a time.
clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley_zps523d9ea5.gif~c200

Glad you got your power back! Now all it takes is getting finished. :D

Am clean and sitting in front of a fan. The AC unit is broken and after I loaded the dishwasher I found that it too is broken. Small problems though, with hot water and a fan, my house is cleaner than its been since the storm hit and I am cooler. Its the little things. :D

Latest posts

Back