Litter possiblities?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
So I ran into a conundrum, my female was very likely recently bred by two different bucks on accident. One a Vienna marked chestnut lop and an elderly otter Netherland. I was just wondering if anyone can help me figure out what each of these guys can produce with her.

I know the Holland carries Chin but I don't know what the otter carries as I forgot to ask. Mom is a high white tri double mane lionhead capable of producing magpies, black, and more tries based on what I saw in her last litter.

Chestnut is the agouti of black, Tricolor is a agouti based color, otter is a self based color.

what color of otter is that buck?

Any "self" kit will be from the otter buck, some of those might even be otters. But that's only if your doe carries the self gene under her agouti. (a BEW or a REW is not a self color btw, it masks the true color underneat, if you get a BEW, your doe carries vienna)
You could get some tris, marpie or harlequin, but my guess will be for a LOT of chestnut.
As for knowing who the dad is, it'll become more evident as they grow through physical traits.
-Not all lop mixes ears drop. Boulette, my lop+lionhead mix, his ears never dropped you can't even tell he has lop in him, they are super straight up even though they are long. His sister though, didn't inherit a mane, and her ears dropped perfectly, so you cant rly tell she's a mix either since she looks like a normal lop. Other mixes will have 1 ear up and 1 ear down or some halfway dropped ears. Obviously any droopy ears come from the lop buck.
-If you notice some have much shorter ears then others, they are most likelly from the netherland buck.
-If your lop buck is bigger then the netherland one, there should be a noticeable size difference with the kits over time.

That's about it from me P: btw you didnt say what breed your doe is, but if it's lionhead, you might get a couplle single mane kits.

Actually I said mom was a double mane lion head, the Netherland is much smaller then both the Holland and the lionhead. He is a black otter.

I want to say the Holland was about the same size as the lionhead and she is a bub through and through. She weight about 7lbs the last time I weighed her and that was all dense muscle.

Ah my bad I didnt notice. 100% of your babies will be single mane then. Black otter.... I maintain my original guess then, most of em will likelly be a chestnut of some kind, with some chances tricolor/harlequin.

Darn it, lol, maybe if I plan for nothing but chestnut again like the last litter I can get a nice surprise assortment again XD

Yeah, you might get some torts and orange too but these are my guesses from my past experience. It's why I favor chocolate in my herd, more variety

Unfortunately, with those colours, there is no way to tell who fathered the litter

The chestnut holland could carry otter or self

The otter could carry self

You've better luck with ear carriage and any with flopped or semi-flopped ears are going to be from the Holland, but since a litter can be sired by both of the Bucks, there is no guarantee any with upright ears are from the Netherland

Dood":39qovh0n said:
Unfortunately, with those colours, there is no way to tell who fathered the litter

The chestnut holland could carry otter or self

The otter could carry self

You've better luck with ear carriage and any with flopped or semi-flopped ears are going to be from the Holland, but since a litter can be sired by both of the Bucks, there is no guarantee any with upright ears are from the Netherland
Darn again, with the Holland bring Vienna marked how likely will the kits themselves be Vienna marked or show the Vienna markings? Only asking because mom is a high white tri and it could help figure out who father is

Because of the mom, white markings will be unreliable to see. Unless it looks like a dutch rabbit you cant assume its a vienna mark. You might get some blue eyes though. Honestly your best bet to tell em appart will be as they grow older through size variations and ear shape.

KimitsuKouseki":2n4fxzvc said:
Because of the mom, white markings will be unreliable to see. Unless it looks like a dutch rabbit you cant assume its a vienna mark. You might get some blue eyes though. Honestly your best bet to tell em appart will be as they grow older through size variations and ear shape.
Ok, so my best bet for differentiating them would be as they get older and size variations, slightly different features (like more of the holland shaped head or the Nethie body shape) possibly blue eyes from the Holland.

Latest posts

Back