New Breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there is a lot involved in creating a new breed.....
Was wondering if anyone has information on it? Tips etc.

I am spit balling more than anything, because I need more space to do a project like this.....
But I'm thinking it would be cool to breed a mini Harlequin, that poses like a ND or Brit.... to show off it's markings....take up less cage space... easier for kids to handle....

Frog.png

technically though you don't HAVE to get it approved by the arba....it could just be a fun pet breed if there's a market for that in your area!

i've always loved dutch rabbits, but they're just so small! i'd love to produce a commercial-sized dutch for fur and meat. but i don't necessarily want to get them accepted, it'd just be a fun thing for myself, and maybe other people will like them and i can sell some. i just like doing genetic experiments

You could simply do like me, work on the breed you want to make for a while before even worrying about paperwork and the like to get recognised x.x

Shazza, what do you like about the dutch? If it's the markings, the vienna gene sometime causes a very similar look so you could introduce it to a meat breed of your choice.

yes, it's the markings! the original idea was to acquire some pet-quality dutch and cross them to a predominantly rew commercial breed like new zealands or americans, and using the offspring that came out biggest and with the clearest markings. shame the mellerud rabbit doesn't exist in the us, because it's basically exactly what i want :p unfortunately vm rabbits in general are difficult to find in my area, or i'd already have some in my meat herd.

That's too bad, it would be the easiest way to get the markings. With crossing with the dutch you'll need to cross several times to make sure the pattern stick.

Latest posts

Back