Anyone here raise rare breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only Standard red is recognized for showing (black tan coming soon). But I know of one breeder who has black, blue, black tan, blue tan, chocolate tan, himalayan, and ruby eyed white in her lines.

blackforest_hares":1phuahtx said:
thanks a lot ♥ :)

@harelady i think in Staates are several colors are allowed. hmm at least a breeder friend told me so.
There will be the following from the tan-colours; chocolate-tan, lilac-tan and blue-tan. (or am i wrong? :? )
He said that there are almost no breeders of chocolate and lilac.

Only Rufus red is recognized at the moment. We are in the process of recognizing Tan in black, blue, chocolate, and lilac. They will be presented to the standards committee in a couple of weeks. So hopefully they will pass. If all goes well they could be recognized as early as next year. Or the following year depending on the committee decision.

oh so okay, then I know now :) thank you!
@Ozarkansas @Harelady ; You can tell me if they are recognized. Maybe you know then a breeder who has something for me. Prefers blue-tan hihi :)

I didn't know you guys were working on all 4 tan colors! I guess black is just the most popular of the 4?

Ozarkansas":55gdjb75 said:
I didn't know you guys were working on all 4 tan colors! I guess black is just the most popular of the 4?

It's the most common variety. I have seen blues and I have heard that someone had a chocolate. But most of the Tans are black. Not so much popularity as in there are just not many that carry blue and chocolate.

Ozarkansas":2pzzr5w3 said:
SarniaTricia":2pzzr5w3 said:
Picture, just because she is pretty...lol
Repeat to self: I do not have room for Harlequins, I do not have room for Harlequins, I do not have room for Harlequins...
Well maybe just one as a pet? Good thing I don't live anywhere near you :lol:

__________ Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:13 pm __________

Just out of curiosity, what is the general temerment of Harlequins? Calm, active, territorial, ect.

I love the temperament! But I cull for temperament as well.... I never want to reach into a cage and have to be careful I don't get bitten... I have a few lickers... but no biters.... Kiki is a bit of an attention pig, but I think that is because she has gone to shows since she was 12 weeks old... lol .... (I make the exception of occasional punching when a doe is pregnant or just gave birth) some are shy and some are much more outgoing!! All are characters!
You can also find quite a few breeders in Kentucky and Indiana.... they have some really beautiful rabbits! The best is you can start with brood quality and in the first litter start producing show quality rabbits! Just look for brood with clean crisp lines and deep rich colour!

I think I need to go take a look at y'all's 12 step "program" :lol:
Hey SarniaTricia, I seem to remember you saying you are interested in BEW Beverens? Do you want to trade? :mrgreen: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:29 am __________ <br /><br /> Oh wait, I just remembered there is like 4 or 5 states in between us :cry: :lol:

Ozarkansas":jyqe572u said:
I think I need to go take a look at y'all's 12 step "program" :lol:
Hey SarniaTricia, I seem to remember you saying you are interested in BEW Beverens? Do you want to trade? :mrgreen:

__________ Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:29 am __________

Oh wait, I just remembered there is like 4 or 5 states in between us :cry: :lol:

OMG!! My heart went right to my throat! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The hair on my arms raised :eek: and ... UUUUUugggggg!! I DO NOT have room for another breed!!! :(
I would make it happen!!! I am not afraid to drive or arrange for transport.. but truth.. there is not enough room!!! In a couple of years I will be beating down your door to make this happen, but until I get my own barn.... I have to work with the space I have. ;) ;)
However, If I do get your way... I would really consider a pair..... (but I don't have room!! Rabbitosis runs rampid..... )
I am not going to look and see were my favourite transporter is headed.... I will not!
I also have someone in my area that would love to have someone to show her Beverens against!! Nope, no room!!

They are SOOOOOooooo beautiful!!!
Cruel Ozarkansas ...... so very cruel.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:runaround:

I could make it work if I...... crap!! Why you gotta......

The good news is I have no rabbits currently for sale....lol...
The bad news is I am rearranging my rabbitry in my head to make this work!!
Lets keep in touch and I thing we could do this..... ;)

SarniaTricia":bqqgnw27 said:
They are SOOOOOooooo beautiful!!!
Cruel Ozarkansas ...... so very cruel.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:runaround:

I could make it work if I...... crap!! Why you gotta......

The good news is I have no rabbits currently for sale....lol...
The bad news is I am rearranging my rabbitry in my head to make this work!!
Lets keep in touch and I thing we could do this..... ;)
:cheesysmile:
Yes we can make it work!!! I an trying to limit the amount of breeds I have... But if you give me enough time I can make room!! or more cages!

SableSteel":1371ata3 said:
I've raised some rare breeds. Standard chinchilla, belgian hare, harlequin, argente brun... Standard chinchillas are cool, beautiful fur, not much in the way of meat though and sort of, imo, a bit boring. Great history behind them too. Not bad little rabbits. Belgian hares were a mess. To be honest, the lines in the US are not super healthy (read: probably the least healthy breed in the US), and not good quality compared to european hares. They're one of the breeds that has to be raised on solid floors; not something I'd want to deal with. That's a breed that's cool to look at, maybe to have one pet, but not to breed.

Another edit: and belgian hares are expensive little things! $100 was what pet quality standard ones were going for when I was looking, and that wasn't even at nationals.

Just saw this. I agree that some line of hares are more susceptible to illness. Respiratory infections especially. I actually had more problems with Angoras then my hares but that maybe just me. I know of a person that raise them on wire which is very looked down on by most people that raise them. They are a really cool breed and I love them but they can be very hard to raise.

I not sure the high prices on hares are a help or hindrance to the breed. I get people that want them but hear the price and back out on the breed or look elsewhere. Common complaint from people is they cannot find any hares for sale. Then they back out when they find then due to price. But then again at least you know someone is serious when they do pay the price. Most hare breeds are pretty particular about who they sell to I have found. Kind of like Angora people.

Latest posts

Back