Crap. Another (hopefully) foster dog.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Today, at about 11 am my fellow breeder in this road A., a rather mentally challenged guy, showed up, trying to get rid of a dog some relatives going to an assisted living facility or what dumped on him. Literally. No papers, no name, he even didn't know the sex.

First, I asked his mother, with about 90 still the clearest mind in that family. Ok, no way back for the dog, and dumping him on Alfred was already a quite desperate move (thanks to new "animal protection " laws its impossible to find a new home online)

Alfred has no clue about dogs, but at least he asked all of his friends for help. Well. I'm the only one without other dogs so here he is.

I'm not sure what to think about it, it's an astonishgly stupid dog, friendly to everyone, but starts to whine and yelp whenever I leave the room.

Ok, that was a hard day for him, but I doubt that he'll handle being left alone for 9-10 hours each day well.

He snores. No way I'll sleep well beside a creature making suffocating noises.

Herr Hase deals pretty good with the situation, well, it's a shame, I enjoyed him so much today morning, jumping on my bed, doing the bunny500 all over the house, being between my feet while preparing breakfast.

That wont happen again for months when the dog is here.

Honestly, I don't really like that dog. Friendly to everyone, stupid, very cuddly.
Gina, I had to work and fight for 3 months to earn her trust. This dog, whoever looks at him is the greatest person in the world.

There's a reason why I like rabbits, or Gina, I need to earn their respect, work hard for it,
This Dog, boring Dumbo. Doesn't listen to anything.

Problem is that I'm already quite threadbare anyway, can't deal with that stuff. Today I missed to close a gate between upper garden and meadow below, normally i step over it but opened it for the dog - and didn't latch it properly. My buck was frolicking with 8 does when I noticed an hour later, his privy parts still dangling to cool.

I, and any plans I made, are thoruoghly fubared.

Wow, Preitler, just what you don't need. :cry:

Could your neighbour keep the dog if he had a supportive person to check in on it now and again? Is he capable of learning basic dog care?

If not, then I suggest you harden your heart and make plans to take the dog to a shelter. You have absolutely no moral responsibility to take charge of it and for anyone to expect it of you is a substantial imposition. This is completely different for caring for your good friend's dog while she was sick.

I know from all your posts that you have a very kind heart, but please don't do this to yourself or the dog. Better it should be rehomed by the shelter with someone who wants its unthinking adoration.

I agree that if he doesn't settle into your household, he'd be better off elsewhere.

But, I feel I need to stick up for Dumbo a little here. It sounds like he's coming from some real turbulence in his little dog life. Most dogs really don't enjoy new-newness, especially if they're used to same-old for years. If he's been living with grandma who suddenly left to the facility and then getting passed around to a bunch of strangers, he's probably really unsure of himself which could explain a lot of his annoying behaviors. If you give him some structure and daily routine you might be surprised how he settles in. He may even appreciate a safe space like a crate while you're away for 9 hours.

Just a thought if you can't rehome him right away.

You're right, no wonder he clings to me like a shadow, he is a poor, sweet little cuddlebug and sure has a hard time, I stay at home today and tomorrow (need to process the growouts anyway), luckily I still have 38 vacation days left this year (they accumulate over the years, it's not that often that I have reasons to not go to work, and nobody does that work for me when I'm not there..), maybe he get's a little more confident.

You're right about the crate too, he actually likes it, doesn't stay there for sleeping because now he's still on a very short invisible leash, but obviously he is used to being in the cage, and it's "his place", when I put a pillow in he jumped in and had "mine!" written all over his face. He goes in without hesiation, even when I close the door and leave the room for some minutes.

It's just that I don't know that much about dogs, and absolutly nothing about this one. No experience with crates (for Gina, that would be most cruel to put her in one), I have a lot to catch up on.
Still no name, hm, "Dumbo" :mrgreen: , neehhh :roll: .
He isn't that stupid, started to train him to come when I whistle, difficult, since he is right behind me most of the time anyway :roll:
Also, he already learned how to use stairs. Had to teach him like the rabbits, putting the front paws on the next step and give a little shove from behind....

Not sure how much and what to feed, but he doesn't gorge on dry food, so I can leave that around, and give rather little wet food, he likes tomatoes and eats small slices of apple (at least while Herr Hase sits right beside him and munches those).
Do I better feed him in the morning, or evening, or twice? He has dry food all day anyway.

Herr Hase copes well, not happy about the dog, but not afraid either - he got the dogs wagging tail in the face several times yesterday and they both ignore each other when getting treats.

Anyway, this dog is extremly affectionate, sweet, quite (he doesn't bark at anything, not cats, does well with other dogs, ignores cyclists), only yelps when left alone - very different to Gina. A real lapdog, I'm sure there are lots of people looking for a dog like this, problem is, finding one of those :evil: , with those new laws many animals get just dumped on someone, shelters are hopelessly overcrowded and although their reputation isn't bad, it's more a place to get rid of unwanted animals, not loved ones :( .

So, next difficult thing for me, asking for help to find a new home, I really need it. I don't think I can keep him, although I always liked the thought of having a dog actually having one costs a lot of energy, it may get smother when things settle in, well lets see, it's been only one work day now, it took Gina appr. two weeks to settle in, and she knew me and was with me before.

Kudos to you for opening your home and heart to all these critters in need. This one sounds like a real sweetie. I vote for calling him Herr Struppi.

Sounds like you have a good deal with the feeding if he will self feed from the dry kibble left out all day. As long as you have a relatively good quality dry food that is all he should need. If he just feeds himself without gorging you can just leave it out for him all day. Or split it into two meals, morning and evening if that's easier for you. The back of the bag should tell you how much to give him based on his weight. If he likes carrots and apples as treats in between, that's great too. I'm not a fan of the canned food unless they are not able to eat the dry for some reason. Not sure of the weather in your part of the world but you might want to get him on a flea and tick preventative.

Are there bulletin boards at local vets or shops where you might be able to post to find him a new home?

I think I'll bring him to the vet tomorrow, for a checkover, a guess at age and breed(s), recommandations on feed etc., maybe trimming nails and listen to his breathing, that sounds like a pug more often than not.

Somehow, he is pretty much like Garfields Odie, mentally :D

Anyway, some Pictures :)

__________ Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:15 pm __________

I'm not sure how to handle this. Friends of friends intervenening, at a very high alcohol level. It'l take days til I'm clear whatever.
its not exactly, what I would call good. :shock: :( , but it's all the help I can get, right now...

Attachments

• Hundchen9.jpg
    Hundchen9.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,830
  • Hundchen6.jpg
    Hundchen6.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,830
  • Hundchen4.jpg
    Hundchen4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,830
  • Hundchen5.jpg
    Hundchen5.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,830
  • Hundchen1.jpg
    Hundchen1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,830
Isn't he a sweetie? Look at that tail go! My parents had one that looked just like that when I was little, his name was Raudi. Your little guy doesn't look very rowdy though. ;)

I hope things went well at the vet with him and that he is settling in.

Wrap up.

He was the sweetest dog I ever met, but I do not have the time or energy for that, I was miserable when at work, knowing he's yelping away all day, or whenever he's awake, and I felt bad for neglecting work, which started to pile up.
It wasn't going well, and I was going downhill pretty fast.

With much encouragement from all my few real life, and RT friends, I decided to bring him to the local shelter, the last, cold night I spent in my old trailer, with the dog tucked into my sleeping bag. Tanja accompanioned me to the shelter, I was in tears when I went out the door. :cry:

Good thing is, a Lady, with connections to the shelter, whom I met at the shooting range the day before called me after an hour that the dog has already been adopted, by someone known to the shelter staff. :p :D
You cant believe what load that took off my heart.

When I told the guy who dumped the dog on me all that, he kind of panicked, he wasn't supposed to give the dog away, the original owner will sue the heck out of everyone, bla bla bla, doesn't matter, I'm quite naiv and take what is told me as face value, dog needs new home, he got it. I'm just glad there was another guy who witnessed everything.

I don't know how my dear friend weaseled out of this situation, and I don't care, don't have any nerve or energy left to care. Probably by telling the owner that the dog died, got run over, or whatever, would be very cruel, but I was denied contacting this person several times - none of my business :?

A prime example why to take care how far you bend reality to coax people to do what you want...

I'm glad everything worked out for the little guy. :D

Sorry that it caused you so much stress but kudos to you for taking him and getting him a new happy home. You can't keep them all but you can do your best to make sure they're taken care of, and that's what you did.

The original dumpers did not, and it sounds like they had plenty of opportunity to take an interest and work with you. They can go hang :angry:

I'm so glad the shelter people let you know that he had already found a home, I know I would've had no end of sleepless nights worrying otherwise. ;)

I bet Herr Hase is happy to have run of the house and his old routine back! :bunnyhop:

You did everything in good faith, Preitler, and kept your attention on what was best for the dog. Sorry you had so much stress as a result. Don't let these people make you feel bad; they are irresponsible and should not have pets at all.

Back