Question on cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAM61

Reaction score
Hello! I raised rabbits up to a few years ago and am now wanting to get back into it. My problem is finding decent cages...there are none on Craigslist that I would feel comfortable in using. I really want to get Bass cages but they're expensive. I'm going to go back raising Californians and New Zealands. My cages ought to be 36x30x18, is that correct? I may just go ahead and get Bass cages because I know they are worth it.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Joe

Unless you have someone in your area who builds them or you are going to build them yourself, Bass is probably your best bet. I build my own and sell them locally :)
BTW :welcome: to RT

I have a collection of different cages that I have purchased 2nd hand as well as a few new...
My suggestion is purchase your first 1 or 2 new... but keep your eyes open for "deals"
You may have to get creative, but if you can get 3 that have the same width and depth, you can use 2x4, screws, washers and trays and build your own towers.

I will eventually take a photos of my makeshift towers... but until then ... use your imagination... lol :lol:

Thanks! When I had rabbits before, I used 36 x 30 x 18 for all the rabbits, including my bucks. I just think it looks "cleaner" with the cages all the same.

You should put your location up. That way it might be easier to make suggestions. Check Facebook group Wisconsin Rabbit Breeders. There is a guy who builds some pretty nice cages on there.

Tractor supply sells a 36x30x18 for $35 and you need the frame for $15 so in total $50. I like them because they fold up when I am not using them. They also hold up very well. I have had mine going on 2 years with big rabbits in them.

First of all, welcome to RT!

I have Bass cages. Started buying them after hubby got tired of making cages. Love them. Get the upgraded floor wire for all and the baby saver wire for the doe cages. As far as cage size, my doe cages are the 48x30 as I find the smaller cages too cramped when I have nest boxes in or a large litter running around. My grow out cages are two 36x30 cages connected into one large cage. To be honest, it is a bit bigger than needed. If I were to re-do my grow out cages, I would get two 30" cages and connect them.

AmberRae":9g77gdgb said:
Tractor supply sells a 36x30x18 for $35 and you need the frame for $15 so in total $50. I like them because they fold up when I am not using them. They also hold up very well. I have had mine going on 2 years with big rabbits in them.
which ones are you using, the dumor ones or the other brand? i had the dumor ones for a while and they rusted out and got gross after like three months... they were also something like $75 for the cage + tray + legs for the mounting rack. my store doesn't sell the other brand anymore, so i have no idea if they're better, but i wasn't really a fan of the dumor cages - they rusted, there's no latch to hold the door up (an easy diy fix, but still,) the snaps that hold the cages together are cheap and i was scared if a rabbit ran too fast they'd fall apart so i had to j-clip them all together, and there was no babysaver option and i've had a few kits go missing out of those cages.

i've been slowly replacing all my cages with bass cages over the past year or so. i miss the black paint, but they're much much better made, and cheaper than the tractor supply cages. they're about $43 total with upgrades, and shipping is about $20, so they come out at nearly $20 cheaper per cage than the tractor supply cages. so far no rust (one has some on the latch from being peed on, bucks are gross lol) or anything. the galvanized after weld wire is great, the babysaver is keeping my kits safer, and they come with door latches (and an option to have the door swing out from the side too, if you prefer that!) i have mine in custom stacking systems with custom made trays, so i can't tell you how much that package would cost. but i do feel like spending a bit more money (or i guess in my case, less, but your mileage may vary,) for a better product is worth it. if you don't want to make your own or can't find a local person to build them, i highly suggest bass. i hear klubertanz is also pretty nice. i just went with bass because i liked their door design slightly better and the site is easier to use.

Back