Could she have a second litter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So my lop doe currently has a litter of 5 that have their own set of questions and a different post. Anyway they are about 2 1/2 weeks old now. My doe however still has a rather large stomach, has been attempting to dig around the hutch on occasion, and has been laying around the hutch like she is still pregnant. Now I know that it is possible for a doe to carry two separate litters at once, but considering how close in time the two litter would be is is possible for the younger litter to have survived the birth? She is acting as if it is day 29 or so if she is pregnant still. I kinda got my hand under her earlier and I felt movement, but I'm not sure if it was kits or digestion. I'm concerned about how this would all work out if it turns out she is still carrying. Any thoughts?

Is there a possibility she was bred in a way that'd explain the double pregnancy?
Could just be extra fat and just normal behavior, I've seen it. Chichi is fatter then she was before giving birth now, I think she just accumulated too much because she was overeating in order to feed her 10 babies.

Give her a good chunk of hay. If she builds a nest you most likelly have your answer. As for feeling the belly, you want to feel for big marble or pingbong ball size squishy balls. Those are the babies

For a long time, it was believed that a doe could carry two litters at different stages of development, one in each horn of the uterus. In recent years, however, this belief has been challenged and -- as far as I know -- discredited.

If she has not been in contact with a buck at or after the time of kindling, I would be very surprised -- astounded! -- if she is pregnant.

Thank you both. She hasn't been around a buck sice before her kindling, but she did have to be housed with him for a bit of time before her due date. If there is pretty much no chance of her carrying another litter then I'm not going to worry about it

Back