Anyone here raise rare breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozarkansas

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else here raises rare breeds? Like American, American Chinchilla, Blanc de Hotot, Belgian Hare, Beveren, Creme D'Argent, Silver Fox, Silver, Harlequin, Lilac, or Rhinelander? If so what are the pros and cons of your breed?

i don't have them yet, but i plan on picking up american white and blanc de hotot soon! there's breeders near me, i just need space. i'd love to do creme d'argent too, but i have yet to find someone with them.

i love rare/unusal animals, i always gravitate towards them because i enjoy having something unique that nobody else would have :p

I've raised some rare breeds. Standard chinchilla, belgian hare, harlequin, argente brun... Standard chinchillas are cool, beautiful fur, not much in the way of meat though and sort of, imo, a bit boring. Great history behind them too. Not bad little rabbits. Belgian hares were a mess. To be honest, the lines in the US are not super healthy (read: probably the least healthy breed in the US), and not good quality compared to european hares. They're one of the breeds that has to be raised on solid floors; not something I'd want to deal with. That's a breed that's cool to look at, maybe to have one pet, but not to breed. Harlequins were absolutely amazing. Gorgeous rabbits, healthy, great mothering & litter size, good growth rate. The biggest problem is their markings; probably a majority of the kits have marking DQs, and the ones that don't aren't even that good. Probably only 1/10 will be 'show quality' and even then will never be good enough for anything above breed. For showing, you need lots of room and cages to get a big enough number of rabbits to produce great harlequins (magpies and easier than japanese btw, because then you don't have to worry about white spots). The argente brun were boring, not super friendly. Terrible sprayers (the bucks). If I wanted an argente, I'd just get a champagne and go for the good growth rate; argente brun aren't really in danger of extinction like some other rare breeds, they're more rare just because they're new.

Edit: in case you can't tell, I'm partial to marked breeds :lol:

Another edit: and belgian hares are expensive little things! $100 was what pet quality standard ones were going for when I was looking, and that wasn't even at nationals.

SableSteel":30k7fqx6 said:
I've raised some rare breeds. Standard chinchilla, belgian hare, harlequin, argente brun... Standard chinchillas are cool, beautiful fur, not much in the way of meat though and sort of, imo, a bit boring. Great history behind them too. Not bad little rabbits. Belgian hares were a mess. To be honest, the lines in the US are not super healthy (read: probably the least healthy breed in the US), and not good quality compared to european hares. They're one of the breeds that has to be raised on solid floors; not something I'd want to deal with. That's a breed that's cool to look at, maybe to have one pet, but not to breed. Harlequins were absolutely amazing. Gorgeous rabbits, healthy, great mothering & litter size, good growth rate. The biggest problem is their markings; probably a majority of the kits have marking DQs, and the ones that don't aren't even that good. Probably only 1/10 will be 'show quality' and even then will never be good enough for anything above breed. For showing, you need lots of room and cages to get a big enough number of rabbits to produce great harlequins (magpies and easier than japanese btw, because then you don't have to worry about white spots). The argente brun were boring, not super friendly. Terrible sprayers (the bucks). If I wanted an argente, I'd just get a champagne and go for the good growth rate; argente brun aren't really in danger of extinction like some other rare breeds, they're more rare just because they're new.

Edit: in case you can't tell, I'm partial to marked breeds :lol:

Another edit: and belgian hares are expensive little things! $100 was what pet quality standard ones were going for when I was looking, and that wasn't even at nationals.
I always thought the Standard Chinchillas would be too small. I had an American Chinchilla once though, and I loved him.
I know the Belgians would be a mess, especially because they need solid floors. But one day, when I am allowed to have a rabbit in the house...
I love the Harlequin markings, but I only have 25 holes and I would need at least that many of just Harlequins to have a proper breeding program.
I am not a huge fan of the Argents, I have only had Champagne, but I had all same problems you had with the bruns, but on top of that they would only breed when it was not too hot, and not too cold! :shock: My Beverens and Americans understand how to breed like rabbits a lot better! :roll:
I am definitely aware of how much rare breeds cost! Kim Calloway charges $400 for a Beveren :eek: (No I haven't spent that much on a rabbit yet) :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:34 pm __________ <br /><br />
shazza":30k7fqx6 said:
i love rare/unusal animals, i always gravitate towards them because i enjoy having something unique that nobody else would have :p

Me too!! I love having different!!

I currently Raise Magpie Harlequin...
the Japanese seem to be more rare than the Magpie in my area.....
My next rabbit breed (when I get space/time) will be white Beverans <3

Magpie Harlequin
Black, Blue, Chocolate, Lilac

Pros: Beautiful Animals and I feel like I am helping save a breed. Passionate people in the groups that share your enthusiasm. The looks on people's face when they see my Harlequin for the first time!!! People love them and they are beautiful!

Cons: Hard to find quality typed animals..... shows can be frustrating and/or lonely, because it is hard to get 3 breeders to a show (you need 3 breeders to get legs). Getting a show quality Harlequin out of litters is 50% breeding and 50% luck ...

BOTH pro/con: Harlequin are not expensive in my area ... (so that means I can get a lot of brood quality or showable rabbits, but when I sell the price is fairly low as well)
You get ALOT of culls from a litter .... (I eat a lot of rabbit and Need more grow out cage space for this breed)
Harlequin is mainly judged on markings.... so the type on this rabbit has suffered....(that means a rabbit without type can win at a show .... but, I eat rabbit, so I don't keep poorly typed rabbits for breeding, but I don't want to sell that rabbit that can beat me on the show table and I hesitate to eat that rabbit as well... so, add another cage to the rabbitry for show only rabbits.)

In summary.... figure out your priorities for your herd (eg. I want meat rabbits that have Harlequin Markings more than I want Harlequin rabbits that are the commercial type rabbit.) breed and cull for your rabbitry's priorities... be aware that each breed has it's challenges, that is why they are rare and go in with eyes open... don't give up.

SarniaTricia":obprkhlf said:

Magpie Harlequin

Pros: Beautiful Animals and I feel like I am helping save a breed. Passionate people in the groups that share your enthusiasm. The looks on people's face when they see my Harlequin for the first time!!! People love them and they are beautiful!

Cons: Hard to find quality typed animals..... shows can be frustrating and/or lonely, because it is hard to get 3 breeders to a show (you need 3 breeders to get legs). Getting a show quality Harlequin out of litters is 50% breeding and 50% luck ...

BOTH pro/con: Harlequin are not expensive in my area ... (so that means I can get a lot of brood quality or showable rabbits, but when I sell the price is fairly low as well)
You get ALOT of culls from a litter .... (I eat a lot of rabbit and Need more grow out cage space for this breed)
Harlequin is mainly judged on markings.... so the type on this rabbit has suffered....(that means a rabbit without type can win at a show .... but, I eat rabbit, so I don't keep poorly typed rabbits for breeding, but I don't want to sell that rabbit that can beat me on the show table and I hesitate to eat that rabbit as well... so, add another cage to the rabbitry for show only rabbits.)

In summary.... figure out your priorities for your herd (eg. I want meat rabbits that have Harlequin Markings more than I want Harlequin rabbits that are the commercial type rabbit.) breed and cull for your rabbitry's priorities... be aware that each breed has it's challenges, that is why they are rare and go in with eyes open... don't give up.

I hear you on shows being lonely! I am so happy right now because I got 2 of my friends who raise Americans together, and all 3 of of us are going to a show together!! :mbounce: I also love people's reactions when they see my BEW Beverens for the fist time :D

SarniaTricia":2ypupefl said:

Magpie Harlequin

We have been researching Harlequins like crazy! I think we're in love <3 I blame you! LOL!! :lol: I will be messaging you on facebook, as I think we're ready for a trio and you are near me and I LOVE your buns. :in_love:

Thanks Faith!!

I will happily take blame for Your new Harlequin addiction!

I have messaged you already.... I know I can put together a trio for you ... My only condition is that you try and come out to shows and Help me show off these beautiful animals!!

The more people that show, the more interest there seems to be ... the more people seem to get involved! (Also, be sure to become a member of the American Harlequin Rabbit Club)

Picture, just because she is pretty...lol
Fiona.png

SarniaTricia":2xn15u0l said:
Picture, just because she is pretty...lol
Repeat to self: I do not have room for Harlequins, I do not have room for Harlequins, I do not have room for Harlequins...
Well maybe just one as a pet? Good thing I don't live anywhere near you :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:13 pm __________ <br /><br /> Just out of curiosity, what is the general temerment of Harlequins? Calm, active, territorial, ect.

They're very calm, and a bit goofy. Interestingly enough, my bucks were always a bit more active than my does, while in the rest of my breeds the does were more active. Much friendlier than my NZW or any other commercial breed I've owned

SableSteel":2jtfltua said:
They're very calm, and a bit goofy. Interestingly enough, my bucks were always a bit more active than my does, while in the rest of my breeds the does were more active. Much friendlier than my NZW or any other commercial breed I've owned

They sound great! I don't have room though. Except for maybe one, as a pet... I am going to have to blame SarniaTricia for making me want them :mrgreen: <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:34 pm __________ <br /><br /> Now I suppose I should post my rare breeds and pros and cons to each breed :)
My favorite breed is the American. They come in Blue and white, and I raise both colors.
Pros: They are very eager to breed, they are good mothers, and they are so friendly that if any of my juniors escape they run towards me!
Cons: Most stock is imbred, I have a problem keeping condition on seniors, and I have a problem with stray white hairs growing in at around 6 moths when they molt for the first time.

Beverens are my second favorite breed. They come in Black, Blue, and Blue Eyed White, I raise Blue Eyed White.
Pros: They are very eager to breed, they are excellent mothers, people love the way they look, although they are long in body they grow just as fast as most New Zealands, and people pay a lot more for them than for the Americans.
Cons: My buck is territorial towards other rabbits and rabbit sents, they get bored with being groomed very quickly, their is currently no competition at shows, and if I get other colors I will have to keep them seperate or deal with the VM/VC gene.

I raise pedigreed Silver Foxes.

PROS:

* Good meat to bone ratio (if bred correctly towards the standard).

* Most are good mothers.

* All of my does pulled larger than normal amounts of fur during kindling.

* Fun to show! Not much to compete against in my area though.

* They tend to be friendly.

* You can break even ( or at least I do ).

* Amazing pelts!

* They only come in 2 colors.

CONS:

* They are no longer a very hardy breed like they once were. When illnesses strike, they tend to be the first to get it. Honestly, the hardiest breed I've ever worked with were Mini Lops.

* They are no longer that much of a heritage breed due to a lot of outcrossings.

* A lot of people are lying on the pedigrees saying that chocolate\white\lilac\tort\etc has always been in the breed.

* Difficult to find show quality ones here and new blood lines.

* A lot of the Silver Foxes I've bought were tiny! 6-8 lbs. I butchered these of course.

They're my favorite breed. There are many more pros than what I listed. Enjoy!

I have never had pure Silver Foxes, but I had some Silver Fox mixes and it's kind of a funny story :)
So when all I had was meat mutts, and I knew nothing about genetics or the different breed's characteristics, I got a half Silver Fox and half Californian doe. She was very lightly silvered black, raised in a colony, 1 year old, and pregnant by a broken black Rex buck. When she was due to kindle we put her in a large wire cage with no floor, on the ground. She had 13 kits, but only 8 lived. And when the kits were about 3 weeks old she decided to show her wild side! Every day she managed to get the door open or dig out of her cage, most time letting the kits out with her! And every night we would have to catch Her. Pretty soon she figured out that if she went in the massive Blackberry bush we couldn't get her! And it wasn't long until she was a very wild rabbit, that ran for the blackberries every time she saw a human approaching! After a few weeks of being a "wild rabbit" we caught her, and put her in a smaller cage off the ground. She was always very high strung after that though. :lol:
A year later in after we moved half way across the country, I got another Silver Fox mix. If I remember correctly her mother was pure Californian, and her father was half Silver Fox, and half Flemish Giant x Champagne D'Argent.
She was always very high strung and tense, and would scream when I picked her up! At 9 months old she had lost 2 litters, due to not producing milk. She would feed them, but she never felt like she had milk in, and the kits failed to thive. So we sent her to freezer camp where she continued to be tense, and now holds the record if the toughest rabbit we ever ate :lol:
So after those two, I had it in my mind that Silver Foxes must be very high strung, because I had other Californian mixes and they didn't act like that.
But every Silver Fox breeder I've talked to has told me different. And I believe them, it must have just been a funny coincidence that those two had Silver Fox in them :bunnyhop:

From what I've seen, the colored lines (blues, chocolates, lilacs, whites) tend to be more high strung than the others. Apparently they were bred into satins to get color, and some kept the satin temperament. The oldest color of silver fox is black, but silver fox isn't that old of a breed; and blues, chocolate and white have all been introduced recently.

belgian hares :D

21150142-1310592872400812-969418079280294468-n_orig.jpg

20621292-1285309301595836-1536378449178153173-n_orig.jpg

They are beautiful!!!! One day, when I am allowed to have a rabbit in the house, I will have a tan Belgian Hare!!!

Beautiful Belgian Hares blackforest_Hares. I have Black and Tan Belgian in the states. Helping to get them recognized as a variety. Hopefully either next year of the year after that they will be.

thanks a lot ♥ :)

@harelady i think in Staates are several colors are allowed. hmm at least a breeder friend told me so.
There will be the following from the tan-colours; chocolate-tan, lilac-tan and blue-tan. (or am i wrong? :? )
He said that there are almost no breeders of chocolate and lilac.

Back