Fitting 'Tarnish'?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyAuntie

Reaction score
I bought a heated water bottle for my outdoor rabbit for this winter. The spout seems to be made from brass, or at least a brass colored metal. The part of the fitting that sits inside the bottle, that sits in the water, is turning black after just a couple days. Is this dangerous for the rabbit? TIA

Is this a commercially manufactured item or a DIY item some enterprising rabbit raiser made? Brass seems an odd choice for the tube of a water bottle. I'd be happier to see stainless steel used for such a purpose.

Is it possible it was copper rather than brass? Copper will tarnish but is safe for water. Brass is often used for water applications and it can have a high copper content which can tarnish as well. Either should be fine so long as the brass used was actually water pipe. The problem arises because brass sometimes has lead in the alloy.

I agree the dark tarnish on copper is not a problem, but the blue-green verdigris that sometimes forms on copper and brass is toxic and if it appears should be removed.

Bunny Auntie, can you post a picture of the water bottle spout? We are speculating without sufficient information.

Still curious to know where you bought this and who manufactured it.

Edited to add: Many rabbit owners add apple cider vinegar to their rabbit's water. Don't do this if the spout is copper or brass -- it could cause more oxidation of the metal.

It was store bought.AAA.jpg The product description says it's brass... I bought it online from Drs Foster and Smith.

Very nice-looking item -- and a real good idea in Vermont's cold winters. The spout does appear to be brass.

In your place, BunnyAuntie, I would contact the manufacturer and express your concerns.

Edited to add: In the real cold snaps of winter, be sure to test regularly to make sure it can handle the excessive cold. In some heated bottles, the water in the bottle can be liquid while the spout itself freezes. Just something to be aware of. Does it have a temperature rating that it is effective to?

if you just have a Singleton rabbit giving them a crock that you can switch out a couple times a day should be sufficient

I sent an email to the company. Who knows when/if I'll hear back but here's hoping! MaggieJ, it says it's rated to below zero temps. The company is Farm Innovators. ladysown, I do have just the one but he's only ever had a bottle and I'm not sure if he'll take to a crock. He's kind of set in his ways. Plus he likes to throw things around :) The heated bottle seemed like the simplest solution.

Latest posts

Back