Immaculate Conception

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I know, it takes a buck and a doe... not sure what happened here. I was butchering some rabbits today and I went out to an area of the colony that had a mother and four daughters. I took one of the daughters out, ran her through a homemade rabbit wringer and hung her up to process. Wasn't I surprised when I opened her up and she was probably about three weeks along with four kits. Not a very happy Truckinguy. Needless to say the rest of them will be separated for a month to see if they are pregnant too and butchering will proceed accordingly.

I had left them longer than I expected due to a busy summer and starting turkey processing but it was just a mother and daughters together so I figured it wasn't a big deal. The section of the colony beside them has a buck in it but he has no access to them except the cage wire between them. Is it possible he is a little sniper and just shooting it at them?? Can they mate up against the wire? I've had rabbits for nearly ten years and I can tell the boys from the girls pretty good. I checked them twice today, grabbed the last one after the first two confirmed to be girls and figured "Okay, YOU'VE got to be the boy" but nope, another girl. I'm a bit perplexed and it sure brought my planned butchering day to a halt.

I guess that begs another question: Can you eat a pregnant doe? Do the hormones make the meat taste any different? These were still young rabbits so she should still be tender.

Your title was certainly an attention-getter, Truckinguy! :lol:

Some bucks do figure out how to mate through the wire. It requires a very enthusiastic doe, however. I've never heard of anyone who actually has witnessed it, but occurrences like yours do happen now and again.

I see no reason why you should not eat the doe. I know I butchered at least one pregnant doe inadvertently and did not notice any difference in the meat. It would be a shame to let her go to waste. Maybe use a recipe with a flavoured sauce if you are concerned.

You might want to install a layer of hardware cloth over the regular wire between the two enclosures to prevent future problems.

I had that happen to me with a pig, its a shocker!

The sniper image will now never leave me, thanks for that. :lol:

Latest posts

Back