Saying goodbye to your first babies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
At 6wks two of my babies ended up in their new home. The breeder I am working with took a little a brother and sister from the litter she liked. She took Buzz a nice big boy with a gorgeous mane and his sister Dot who kind of has her mom's nice but wispy mane lol. At 6wks I haven't seen them try to nurse from mom for just over 2wks now and they were happily drinking from bottles, dishes, eating freshly harvested greens, and chowing down on pellets. It's time to start advertising the other four for pet homes since I decided to keep tworking as well.

Thumbelina my special girl who I just can't part with as she is to sweet and her brother Stitch the magpie who already has dates with the breeders lilac lionheads, his mom, and a few of the breeder's sister's rabbits all next spring.

Anyway back to the main topic, I was so sad to see Buzz and Dot go though I knew she will take excellent care of them which helped to ease the sadness. Was it hard for you guys to let your first babies go?

Homer":37xcv5lh said:
It's a little hard to let the first ones go but...now you can have MORE! :p
So true that is and mom may be expecting her second litter to a nice vienna marked chestnut holland and possibly some Nethie babies as well :x

Long story there, basically her kids were to lazy to pull out a second pen for their elderly nethie buck and just plopped him in with Mom while we returned the holland to his cage. It looked like the nethie was having trouble catching her but that doesn't mean he didn't succeed at least once while we were gone.

Maleficent":2hybx4qt said:
Homer":2hybx4qt said:
So true that is and mom may be expecting her second litter to a nice vienna marked chestnut holland and possibly some Nethie babies as well :x

Long story there, basically her kids were to lazy to pull out a second pen for their elderly nethie buck and just plopped him in with Mom while we returned the holland to his cage. It looked like the nethie was having trouble catching her but that doesn't mean he didn't succeed at least once while we were gone.

It only takes once and the rabbit math kicks in. :lol:

I always had a hard time at first. You get attached. Then I had this awful litter of Rex. They were 9 bucks!!! And just a PITA. I have a permanent tattooed dot on my left index finger to prove it. :x They were quite easy to let go. LOL!!! And they were my first litter for meat.

Take lots of pictures ;)

Homer":39rcaean said:
Maleficent":39rcaean said:
Homer":39rcaean said:

It only takes once and the rabbit math kicks in. :lol:
Darn rabbit math! I was hoping to get a kick start on breeding for a decent BEW. The whole litter may have to go to pet homes as my friend pointed out since it will be hard to tell who is who... well actually we know the hollad has chin and the Nethie is otter though don't know how that helps @.@

faiththequeen":39rcaean said:
I always had a hard time at first. You get attached. Then I had this awful litter of Rex. They were 9 bucks!!! And just a PITA. I have a permanent tattooed dot on my left index finger to prove it. :x They were quite easy to let go. LOL!!! And they were my first litter for meat.

Take lots of pictures ;)

I was taking photos almost everyday there for a while

My first litter was a bit difficult, but I kept the only gold kit for his colors I can use, and he has always been an absolute sweetheart (accept one time when he nipped me for taking him out of the breeding pen before he decided he was done). I think keeping him made it less hard to let go since I still have one of my first babies

Thank you teatime, remembering that I am keeping the little magpie boy (and possibly his sister for reason) has really made it easier on me

Back