Register

basic rant

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 600.00

basic rant

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Harelady » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am

I been doing some buying and selling of rabbits that will take place at Convention. I am a bit done with doing both since it is so frustrating. I put a down payment on a buck to get at Convention and I talked to a mentor about the pedigree. He said that it was not a good idea to use that rabbit in my herd so I backed out of the sale. Now the seller won't give my money back due to a policy of no refunds. I get it but still a bit ticked.

I also been waiting weeks for payment on two rabbits. I about done dealing with this person. But it's not like I have anyone else wanting these rabbits.

Rant over.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Re: basic rant

Post Number:#2  Unread postby faiththequeen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 am

Buying and selling can be so frustrating!! :wall: Sorry you're having trouble. I hope everything works out :encourage:
Faith the Queen :king:

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,598.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:45 pm

I personally would not want to have to buy at convention... it just looks so darn complicated!!

Sorry you are having issues.... good luck with your sale.
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,406.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 pm

did you pay the whole amount up front?

You should get half back at least, otherwise the seller is being a jerk. Seriously..

Otherwise.... if they won't refund your money say fine, I want the rabbit then. Otherwise you are losing money. you can always turn around and sell the thing if you don't want it in the long run.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Harelady » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:46 am

Ladysown yes I payed the full amount. I really don't need to feed another rabbit rabbit I won't use. It a rare breed so it will be hard to resell. I am just cutting my losses and not going to buy from her again. I think it's an unfair selling policy. But I don't have any means to get my money back.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,371.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:46 am

Harelady wrote:Ladysown yes I payed the full amount. I really don't need to feed another rabbit rabbit I won't use. It a rare breed so it will be hard to resell. I am just cutting my losses and not going to buy from her again. I think it's an unfair selling policy. But I don't have any means to get my money back.

Was there a written agreement or notice that your money would not be refunded in the event of the buyer backing out? If not, I'd suggest going to small claims court with it... it's not right to take someone's money if there wasn't an understanding that there would be no refunds (or at the very least partial refunds). I get a seller wanting some "insurance", hence keeping a holding fee or deposit, but not the full amount of the rabbit...

I don't know how much you had paid for the rabbit, Harelady, but if it was a rare breed I'm guessing it's not chump change to be thrown away easily.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,643.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 am

At risk of making myself unpopular, I have to ask, Harelady, if you knew her selling policy at the time you paid for the rabbit. Lots of breeders have trouble with people who say they want a rabbit and then arbitrarily change their minds. In the meantime, the seller may have lost other opportunities to sell the rabbit. Many members here who sell rabbits have had trouble with buyers who don't follow through.

I really believe that anyone thinking of buying a rabbit needs to do the research first about the rabbit's suitability for their purpose, familiarize oneself with the seller's policies, and be prepared to regard payment for the rabbit as a commitment to follow through. Just my take on this subject and . . . Ouch! Ow! That hurt! :lookout:
:hiding:

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,371.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:13 pm

MaggieJ wrote:At risk of making myself unpopular, I have to ask, Harelady, if you knew her selling policy at the time you paid for the rabbit. Lots of breeders have trouble with people who say they want a rabbit and then arbitrarily change their minds. In the meantime, the seller may have lost other opportunities to sell the rabbit. Many members here who sell rabbits have had trouble with buyers who don't follow through.

I really believe that anyone thinking of buying a rabbit needs to do the research first about the rabbit's suitability for their purpose, familiarize oneself with the seller's policies, and be prepared to regard payment for the rabbit as a commitment to follow through. Just my take on this subject and . . . Ouch! Ow! That hurt! :lookout:
:hiding:

I don't think this idea is all that unpopular, MaggieJ! :whistle:
That is why I asked if there had been an agreement regarding the no-refund policy though. Because I can sympathize with the seller to a point, as well, but if they took (pure conjecture) $200 for a rabbit they never actually gave away, I'd feel a little cheated as well... take a portion of that, fine. But the whole shebang? :x

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Harelady » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 pm

MaggieJ I see your point. The person did write the sales policy I just did not read it correctly I think. So it mostly my fault and I am willing to just forget about it. Though I would probably refund the money if I was in the same position. I did ask her about the pedigree and if it was alright. I should have asked a mentors opinion on it first cause I was leery of a recessive trait in the pedigree. The breeder said it was fine. I should have asked someone else if it was fine. I just mad at myself mostly.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,100.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby alforddm » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 pm

If you're leery of a recessive trait can you get the rabbit and then test breed for it? If it were me I would take the rabbit even if you have to take a loss to resell him you'd still recoup at least some of your money. Even if you ate him at least you'd get an expensive meal (assuming of course your not having to pay even more for shipping or something like that).

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,643.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Nymphadora, it certainly would have been nice if the breeder had made at least a partial refund, particularly if the price of the rabbit was high.

I think what we all need to take away from this is to slow down, ask questions, and sleep on it before we commit to any kind of purchase, not just rabbits.

Sorry about coming on a bit too strong, there, Harelady. I do understand how you feel.