Register

Scales

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Scales

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Jsauceman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello. New user here. I invested in a small meat herd for personal use and accidentally stumbled on a restaurant buyer. My main question is about a scale to determine the weight. Is there any particular type that would be recommended by current growers. I have found two different types at Walmart . Com website that look promising. One is a baby scale similar to what you would find in a doctors office and the other is a digital bathroom type scale. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 185.00

Re: Scales

Post Number:#2  Unread postby UFCreel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 am

Hello you are going to be trading or selling so you may need a butchhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rc ... lpxN9lAers scale. I use a hand held Rapala fish scale.
Last edited by UFCreel on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Jsauceman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 pm

We will be selling cleaned carcass. The chef asked what the approximate weight would be. I was thinking something like the babybscale would be ideal to use on processed rabbits as well as monitoring litter growth. The fishing scale would be a good idea to measure hanging weight similar to how larger livestock is weighed. Never thought of using one of those. Thanks for the idea.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,027.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Homer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 pm

https://www.harborfreight.com/70-lb-32-kg-digital-postal-scale-95069.html love mine. Put a box on it or a box and a bag, hit the tare button and it zeros. runs on a 9 volt battery to if you don't have power available.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 13,656.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 pm

You probably have already done this, but if you haven't, you need to check and make sure it's legal to sell to a restaurant if your meat is self processed. In Oklahoma, I can sell directly from my farm to the consumer but I can't sell to restaurants or stores unless the meat is processed in a fda inspected facility.

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
Nymphadora