White rabbit eyes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I have a REW doe who gave me 5 kits. 4 are broken black like their sire, but the 5th is a white rabbit like my doe. Now their eyes are just opening and the white kit I expected to be a REW like it's mama has black pupils (all I can see are the pupils at this moment) now I'm wondering what color it's eyes are. I personally haven't seen any white rabbits with brown eyes, but I'm sure that it is still a possible color. The sire of these kits has brown eyes, but I don't have any idea what genes either of the parents carry other than what shows on them. My question is how likely is it that I have a white kit with brown eyes vs. blue eyes? And a bit of a genetics lesson would help me out a lot with trying to wrap my head around this <br /><br /> __________ Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 am __________ <br /><br /> Here is a picture of the kit

Attachments

• IMG_20170912_074610.jpg
    IMG_20170912_074610.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 1,557
It looks like either a Blue Eyed White, or a "Brown Eyed White." We used to have meat mutts that threw "Brown Eyed Whites" we only got 2 though. They were in 2 different litters 5 months apart. And they both died for no apparent reason at about 4 weeks. :(
If it is Blue Eyed White you will see blue in a few days.

2017-09-12 08.01.22.jpg
Here is one of my Blue Eyed Whites when it first opened it's eyes

White with brown eyes (ermines) are pretty common. Much more common than any blue eyed whites (at least in meat breeds; in some pet lines theres a bunch of blue eyes floating around). They're orange with the chinchilla gene, that takes away all the orange pigment. What breed is this?

SableSteel":822b7bmu said:
White with brown eyes (ermines) are pretty common. Much more common than any blue eyed whites (at least in meat breeds; in some pet lines theres a bunch of blue eyes floating around). They're orange with the chinchilla gene, that takes away all the orange pigment. What breed is this?

I didn't know that ermines are pure white. I thought they had faint shading.
Are they genetically weak?

Frosty AKA ermine are white with brown or grey eyes, they usually developed coloured ticking as they mature

It is odd that you got 5 broken blacks out of them as you'd expect a few chestnuts :hmm: could you post a picture of the sire and the black kits, I suspect they might be steels

Here are those pictures. The doe is the REW

__________ Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 pm __________

One last kit <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am __________ <br /><br /> So their eye color is starting to come in. It's faint right now, but after my art class I learned that I am quite sensitive to color and see more colors, more vividly than most people. The white Kit's eyes look kinda steely blue right now

Attachments

• IMG_20170802_062742.jpg
    IMG_20170802_062742.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMG_20170802_095224.jpg
    IMG_20170802_095224.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMG_20170912_161934.jpg
    IMG_20170912_161934.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMG_20170912_161952.jpg
    IMG_20170912_161952.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMG_20170912_162012.jpg
    IMG_20170912_162012.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMG_20170912_162029.jpg
    IMG_20170912_162029.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 1,531
My Palomino kit's eyes look kinda blue when they first open them. But they are very brown at about 6 weeks.

Steel is black hairs "Tipped" with either gold or silver. In lops there can be other varieties of steel as well, such as Blue, Chocolate, Lilac, Sable, and Smoke Pearl. :D <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:28 pm __________ <br /><br /> It just looks like the black and white hairs are blending to me :bunnyhop:

Ozarkansas":2lqqu60r said:
Steel is black hairs "Tipped" with either gold or silver. In lops there can be other varieties of steel as well, such as Blue, Chocolate, Lilac, Sable, and Smoke Pearl. :D

__________ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:28 pm __________

It just looks like the black and white hairs are blending to me :bunnyhop:
I feel the same, they all just look broken black to me.
My guess is you can just assume until proven otherwise that your doe doesnt carry agouti. A REW doe, it's hard to tell what her "true" color is cause of the albino covering the color genes, but you would have had 50% chestnut if she carried agouti. Since your sire is a self, any agouti wouldve been caused by the mom.
Also because of the sire most your kits will always be black based colors since black is such a powerfull color. If you have a different buck, who's not black based, I'd use him to test what color your doe carries.

I have a gold English Spot buck I could try to test her with next. If I remember correctly "gold" English Spots are red based. I don't know if she'll lift for him though, because she is bonded with my lop buck

It's worth a shot, I'd try him with her, see how it goes. If she attacks him take him out, but my guess is it should be fine.

I mentioned before that I have a doe who prefers "her buck". She never actually atacked any other buck though. She just takes forever to lift for any other buck, and when I put her with "her buck" it's instant.

I don't think that she'll attack him. I think she will be an absolute pain though and frustrate the crap out of him by not lifting. I've seen him get so frustrated with a doe that I had to take her out and try again the next day, because he started pulling her fur out while tugging on her to try and get her to lift. He gave a really good couple of fall off when she did finally lift for him though. He has his favorite too (I understand why too. She is absolutely gorgeous) but he still hasn't failed to do his best at his job with any doe I've put with him

TeaTimeBunnies":1o5u8eeg said:
I don't think that she'll attack him. I think she will be an absolute pain though and frustrate the crap out of him by not lifting. I've seen him get so frustrated with a doe that I had to take her out and try again the next day, because he started pulling her fur out while tugging on her to try and get her to lift. He gave a really good couple of fall off when she did finally lift for him though. He has his favorite too (I understand why too. She is absolutely gorgeous) but he still hasn't failed to do his best at his job with any doe I've put with him

I have had 2 "fur pullers" , they make breeding rabbits a lot harder to say the least :lol:

Ozarkansas":33u97n64 said:
I have had 2 "fur pullers" , they make breeding rabbits a lot harder to say the least :lol:

I suppose I'm lucky that it only happens when he gets extremely frustrated then :lol: . He calms down after about an hour, but I wait for the next day so his patience with her can come back. He is just so determined to get her to lift by himself though. He will turn his nose up at any doe I position for him no matter how frustrated he gets with her. Picky picky boy :roll:

Latest posts

Back