Getting weight on rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shan_non

Reaction score
Some of our rabbits are on the lower end of weight. Especially the does coming off of nursing. They get fed 16% pellets twice a day and are outside all day on pasture. We feed all organic.
They get our vegetable scraps too. What does everyone feed their rabbits to keep healthy weight? What are the best extras for weight? We have NZW and Silver Fox.

I feed 16% pellets, oats and hay. It keeps the weight on my Beverens, Dutch, as Palominos fine. But I have issues with the Americans. By under wiegh do you mean skinny or under the Standard of Perfection weight requirements? I have a Champagne D'Argent buck who is not skinny, he is just small.

Black oil sunflower seeds work great for keeping my nursing does weight up. I also use calf mana but it isn't organic.

Black oil sunflower seeds and some rolled oats. The oats are also a good started feed for the kits.

I changed my feed a few days after posting this. I bought organic oats and barley. After a 2 hour drive home from the mill, I realized there was corn and soybeans in the oats.
Obviously, I didn't turn around to return it so I have been feeding it to them -though I know they are debated. At least they are organic non-gmo.
I wanted to get dried peas to add but I didn't give the mill enough notice. I'll be trying that and BOSS next time.
I'm happy to say, our rabbits have gained a healthy weight in just 2 weeks. I was nervous to switch the babies food but now that they are 8 weeks, I will slowly give it a go.

Back