Register

Recent Rabbit Spinnings

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 720.00

Re: Recent Rabbit Spinnings

Post Number:#16  Unread postby hotzcatz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Lovely yarns! If they were mine, I'd pull the reds for a separate project and make the others into a shawl with graduated colors.

Have you tried using a swift instead of a niddy noddy? Goes so much faster! The last swift I bought was one of those plastic and wire ones that someone sold at a garage sale as a 'lingerie dryer'. I just paid them the fifty cents they were asking and didn't try to tell them what it actually was. Also picked up one of the wooden ones for $5 at a different rummage sale, but sold that one since it was kinda clunky and large.

If you can find fiber tools at a non-fiber sale, they're usually quite inexpensively priced. Especially if the folks having the sale haven't a clue what they are.

There's some swifts which are basically crossed sticks with pegs on them that pivot in the middle. Wouldn't be rocket science to make one of those.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
PSFAngoras

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,865.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby GBov » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Um, would I be cheating to ask for a link to your Etsy shop? ;)

Love LOVE those skeins of yarn, the colors are fantastic!

List of things to do now include learning to spin, knit and weave. I wonder, if my project list is undoably long, will I live forever? :lol:

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
PSFAngoras

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,466.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:26 pm

@ Hotcatz - I don't have a swift yet, that's why I was planning on building one into a new wheel. I don't have a large house, only 700 sf, and too many hobbies, so the more I can consolidate my ever growing stash of yarn gadgets the better! :) I already take up well over my allotted half of the spare bedroom, and I haven't even started making mead yet!

@GBov - here's the link.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PostageStampAngoras

If you plan on getting into weaving you should look into the rigid heddle looms. They're usually more of a gateway machine, but I got one for my mom when she had to have surgery on her hands, keeping her from her knitting (pretty devastating for someone who can whip up an intricate cable sweater in a couple weeks just knitting in her spare time). The rigid heddle can be very basic, but she found you can adapt the use of a second heddle in some models and pick up sticks with any model and make nearly as many patterns as you can on a larger shaft style loom.

I keep trying to get her to put her woven scarves from her little cricket loom on her Etsy, but she hasn't done it yet. They're beautiful!
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Quality French Angoras*

The following user would like to thank PSFAngoras for this post
Nymphadora

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#19  Unread postby GBov » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Just had a look, wonderful, beautiful stuff!

Weaving and the like will have to wait so right now I needle felt. Living in Fl, there isnt much call for wool garments or bed throws :lol: and the rabbit hide blanket is on hold until we move to a climate where it can be used instead of just hung on a wall. :roll:

I will put the loom name in my "For later" file though as branching out is calling me. Wool is as bad as rabbits, I went onto Etsy for ONE color of fiber and wound up spending way too much :oops: and ordering 13 colors and two combo packs.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Post Number:#20  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:06 pm

It can definitely be like that!! I spent nearly $600 at the last fiber festival I went to, and all I brought home was wool! (I did fine a WHOLE paco-vicuña fleece for a very reasonable price though!!!)

Just wait until you get into angora rabbits, than you'll want one in each color so you can have the whole natural color spectrum!! Luckily I find that in French, or at least with the lines around me, that chocolate based rabbits have wool colors very similar to those of the black based colors, so I don't have to focus on bringing chocolate in my herd. :) Chocolate in Satin Angora is beautiful, but I found the Satins didn't produce enough wool for me to justify the cage space.
*Quality French Angoras*

Post Number:#21  Unread postby GBov » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 pm

PSFAngoras wrote: Chocolate in Satin Angora is beautiful, but I found the Satins didn't produce enough wool for me to justify the cage space.

Now THAT is very good to know! I have been trying to decide what kind of Angora to get so that strikes them OFF the list.

I had thought to form a partnership with a spinner (we produce fiber, they spin, we split the spunnings) once we get free to move to the UK and get a start in Angoras but spinning does sound like fun so might take it up instead.

That is the best part about fiber and bunnies, its totally endless the fun one can have! :D

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,371.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Nymphadora » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:05 am

PSFAngoras wrote:I spent nearly $600 at the last fiber festival I went to, and all I brought home was wool! (I did fine a WHOLE paco-vicuña fleece for a very reasonable price though!!!)

I'd be surprised you only spent $600 if you bought that fleece! :P

PSFAngoras wrote:Chocolate in Satin Angora is beautiful, but I found the Satins didn't produce enough wool for me to justify the cage space.

I did spin up a (very short) yarn using from one of my friend's Satin Angoras a while back... oh my goodness was it soft and shiny!!! Granted, it was a very very short yarn because it was only a handful that was collected as she was brushing her rabbit for a show that day. And I almost felted the darn wool in my pocket running around the show all day before I could get home to spin it. But that yarn is soft as butter... I wonder how the French Angora yarn compares (I have yet to get my hands on any). :mrgreen:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#23  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Due to unfortunate circumstances the farmer was getting out of PV's and was simply trying to sell the fleece for anything he could get. I walked by twice before asking if the $65 price tag was for an ounce, but it was for the whole fleece! I'm pretty much treating it like gold. DH pointed out that if I processed and sold the fleece I could probably buy a LOT of sheep's wool, but since I came across it due to someone else's unfortunate events I feel like that would be wrong. When I get to spinning it I'll be making gifts for my family and close friends out of it.
*Quality French Angoras*

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,879.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Beautiful yarns!! Now that I am out of rabbits for a season, I think I might start back with angoras when that time comes - merging two hobbies into one ;)

For those interested in spinning without a lot of room or money to spare, look into drop spindles! I did a skein on a basic one I bought on Etsy and it was really fun! A RT member sent me a sample of fur to try and it was definitely a different experience than the wool I got with the starter kit. I like the idea of being able to go from rabbit to spindle with little to no effort in between...
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,371.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:49 pm

PSFAngoras wrote:Due to unfortunate circumstances the farmer was getting out of PV's and was simply trying to sell the fleece for anything he could get. I walked by twice before asking if the $65 price tag was for an ounce, but it was for the whole fleece! I'm pretty much treating it like gold. DH pointed out that if I processed and sold the fleece I could probably buy a LOT of sheep's wool, but since I came across it due to someone else's unfortunate events I feel like that would be wrong. When I get to spinning it I'll be making gifts for my family and close friends out of it.

:o
That's incredible... I do feel for the poor farmer though, it's always painful having to give up animals of any kind.

But that's an absolute steal for the whole fleece, I'd love to see what you make with the wool, PSFAngoras! Please keep us updated when you start spinning it. :D

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 720.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby hotzcatz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:09 am

So the wool you used to make the yarn in the pictures is from a French? It's got deeper colors than what would usually show up from an English.

I just got two new rabbits, a black Satin and a black hybrid Satin/German. Everybunny else over here is an English angora, so I'm thinking of blending in some of the wool from the new rabbits with the English wool to see how the yarn looks afterwards. Do you think there will be more halo with the Satin/German fibers added in? Hopefully it will help darken up the English fibers a bit, too.

Not quite sure about breeding them to the English, but that's the only other angoras I have and the two new ones are a mother/son set. I'm planning on breeding the doe to an English buck, then taking the best doe from that litter and breeding her to the son. It'd be half siblings, but that's about the best I can do as far as keeping them from being inbred and still get some of the shiny Satin showing up. Maybe breed the Satin/German hybrid to an English doe and then cross the best buck from that back to the original Satin doe.

Eventually, I'd like to get them back to being close to Satins again, I think. How much wool does a Satin produce per year?
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

Site Supporter

Post Number:#27  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:32 pm

The fiber is from French, yes. It's all I have anymore.

I did try Satin again, Briefly, at the beginning of this year, but the one doe produced pitiful amounts of fiber (turned out she had some weird liver condition) and I couldn't keep the buck on feed. I also had another doe that had to be culled to cystic mastitis who produced 2 kits for me before that happened. I couldn't tell you how many ounces they produced off the top of my head, but in six months I only got enough wool to make a few small skeins from five rabbits.(Basically only the finicky buck was the only rabbit actually producing any usable amount of fiber.) It wouldn't have amounted to a third of what my French produce in that time. It is possible it was just the lines since they were new to me lines, but I won't go back to them between the poor production (due to random health issues) and the constant matting. (I'm pretty spoiled grooming once a week with my French)

You can get good depth of color from French if you start with that in your herd and breed towards it. It's definitely one thing I look for when buying new stock. I often notice it more in shorter coated angoras though. I'm not sure if it's true, but I have always read that they have the same amount of pigment for each hair as a normal coated rabbit, just spread over a bigger surface (read, longer hair). Most of my herd is fairly short staples at the moment, so it makes sense to me that their color would be less washed out following that train of thought. Hopefully breeding towards a longer staple can help me prove or disprove this theory.

As far as halo, I never saw much halo from my Satin, and I have no experience with English or german. The French produces a very heavy halo usually though, thanks to all the guard hair.

Honestly I think your best bet to get Satin would be to cross the mother and son. You wouldn't be able to guarantee the gene is passed on by the son to his litter, and then breeding them back to their grandmother may or may not result in a Satin kit. You should have approximately a 25% chance breeding the son to the mother. Or a half sibling back to he son should have the same odds. Hopefully having german in there will up their production a bit, by then again, I did have many health problems with mine, so it could have just been my rabbits that produced poorly.
*Quality French Angoras*

Previous