Worried about my pet rabbit...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khloe-Milo-Romeo

Reaction score
Okay so, I have a dwarf rabbit, I originally thought that she was a boy and agreed to take on another one that was only a week or so older than her that was a boy.
I had the two of them together for a few months waiting for the balls to drop to verify whether or not they were boys. Milos balls had dropped but the other one, now named Khloe hadn't.

So I got Milo neutered as quickly as I could but, with my job and schedule of myself and the vet I unfortunately didn't get to him in time.

With no time at all I realized how big Khloe had gotten, how irritated she was and just how her personality overall changed. She even started nesting, digging constantly and pulling her fur out (Not a lot). During this time I was able to get the boy fixed and he was fixed weeks before she finally gave birth.

When Khloe finally gave birth I realized that she only had one, I left her alone for 48 hours just to make sure I didn't interrupt anything and just incase she wasn't done but once that time limit was up she still had the one.

It's six weeks later now, the two parents I have are both Grey and white and they had a pure white baby with blue eyes who is healthier than ever, the dad gets a long with the baby great as well as the mom but..

Khloe hasn't exactly gotten back to normal, her personality is still really anxious when she used to be relaxed and cuddly. And not to mention a week ago I started noticing her digging in the same spot she originally nested in, shoved all the bedding underneath the ramp (Where she was digging) leaving absolutely none in the cage and just two days ago I found that she had pulled her hair out again...

It's September 9th.
Milo was neutered on July 4th, the baby was born on July 28th so I don't think there's a possibility that she could be pregnant again...

I would just like some help, I'm really nervous.

I don't know if she's having a false pregnancy or if she's stressed that I haven't been home. (I just started college this week)

Any feedback would be great, I'm just really scared that something's wrong...

I have herd male rabbits are fertile up to one month after neutering. And I know rabbits can get pregnant the day they give birth. So it is slightly possible she is pregnant again. But I would say it's a false pregnancy.

I think you have to assume she is pregnant and give her a nest box. It may be a false alarm, but it is only fair to give any kits their best chance.

Why, oh why, don't the vets neutering a rabbit warn the owners that the buck may remain fertile for some time after the operation? :pullhair:

Thank you all for your answers.

I know, I had no idea that the male could be fertile a month after being neutered and I never separated them since the two are so close, and the male has had some health problems in the past so he's a lot more comfortable with her but, I never would've kept them together after the baby was born if I thought this could happen..

Don't blame yourself, K-M-R. The vet should have told you. But never mind. One OOPS litter isn't the end of the world.

Just so you and other people new to rabbits know . . . A buck will breed a doe immediately after she kindles. Some are so eager that they will attempt to breed while she is giving birth. If you are going to separate them to prevent future litters, do it before the doe kindles.

MaggieJ":1mgsqmuc said:
Don't blame yourself, K-M-R. The vet should have told you. But never mind. One OOPS litter isn't the end of the world.

Just so you and other people new to rabbits know . . . A buck will breed a doe immediately after she kindles. Some are so eager that they will attempt to breed while she is giving birth. If you are going to separate them to prevent future litters, do it before the doe kindles.
Exactly what I was going to say :D

Back