Mini Satins

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
I have been considering getting a few rabbits of a common breed so I don't show against myself all the time. I rarely have competition with my rare breeds. Anyway I have an opportunity to get some decent Mini Satins for dirt cheap. I not super familiar with the breed but they fit my criteria. So we will see if I like them since I have heard there nickname is mini Satan's. Getting two doe's and the kits that one of them has. I know of a good judge that has the breed that I could get a buck from if I decide they are for me.

Anyone raise them have any advice or knowledge they like to share?

They are pretty mean lol I had them, my brother used one for showmanship and it would lunge down to try to attack him every time he reached down to grab it, growling the entirety of the show. They're a dwarf breed, too, so you've got to watch out for peanuts & false dwarfs. They're a nice little breed to look at, one of my favorite dwarf breeds.

I raised them for quite awhile, small size, beautiful fur, but they don't call them mini satans for nothing!

sunrise":3fv2m6pd said:
I raised them for quite awhile, small size, beautiful fur, but they don't call them mini satans for nothing!

This is the truth. I bought a mini satin (thought she was a regular baby satin) and man is she mean!

Well crap!
I found a lovely Mini Satin Buck and my step daughter was looking into breeding them.... :shock:
The buck is really lovely!!
Finding a doe with the lovely temperament sounds like it might be a bit harder than I thought!

Well I got three from a lady that is needed to get find homes for all her rabbits real quick. The buck is really nice and very sweet and the does have good temperaments as well. I may not keep either doe. They are nice but are not quite what I am looking for. My friend who raises them told me the whites have the most problems with temperament. She doesn't have much problems with the varieties she raises. I am getting a very nice doe at Convention from her. So hopefully I won't have much problems with temperament. I have no tolerance for mean rabbits.

Congrats! If you breed for temperament along with type they're not too bad. I ended up after a couple years not having any mean rabbits, I just won't put up with that. On the whole, just not the friendliest of breeds. I had one herd buck that was very sweet and friendly. Beautiful though, and I had a great experience overall with them.

Not all of them are mean, but yes the term mini satan (and satans for their older cousins) is a term I've heard quite often

We picked up a Siamese Mini Satin a few years ago that was really sweet. Satins and Mini Satins I feel are one of those breeds that were bred for color and coat for a long time and then in the recent past people have started focusing more on temperament with them.

It's a breed I plan on picking up this year and next for the kiddos to show although I intend to shop AT the shows where I can see these rabbits and touch, pick up, move them and see their temperaments, at least for most of my foundation stock. With rare breeds, finding the rarer colors sometimes means shipping them in. So I'll have to just watch what I get and cull the nasty ones so they don't pass the traits on.

Latest posts

Back