Tan in Canada winter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
So as some of you might know, I finally got myself a Tan breed rabbit. Today I finally put him outside with the other rabbits, he's not happy about it but who knew Tan rabbits had so much energy. He kept me from sleeping so much with all the noise he made. Never had that issue before even with nesting does and he also chewed on the cage bars so much nearly half the cage has been ripped of it's paint x.x
Anyways, now he's outside and my only worry is winter. I breed lionheads so I know those are fine but Tan rabbits have such short fur I'm wondering if he'll be ok at -25celcius and such :/
He'll be in the shelter near a heating lamp but it still goes below freezing in there. Any thoughts?

KimitsuKouseki":15awt9s6 said:
So as some of you might know, I finally got myself a Tan breed rabbit. Today I finally put him outside with the other rabbits, he's not happy about it but who knew Tan rabbits had so much energy. He kept me from sleeping so much with all the noise he made. Never had that issue before even with nesting does and he also chewed on the cage bars so much nearly half the cage has been ripped of it's paint x.x
I have never had a tan but my impression or then (from what I saw at shows) Is chew everything in reach even if its the carrier wire! I have never seen a tan stand still! ! They chew, chew, chew, and chew!
I gess you know this now :lol: :lol:

It's good you've put him outside now while the weather is still warm. He should become accustomed to the cold gradually as the fall season progresses into winter. Most rabbits manage cold far better than heat. A bunny-sized cardboard box with some hay or straw will give him extra protection if needed. Be prepared to replace it often if he continues to chew everything in sight.

Tans are active, active little bunnies! That's quite the norm for the breed, always moving and getting into trouble. If they get lazy, they don't run as easily and therefore don't show well.

MaggieJ":rf7t7qi0 said:
It's good you've put him outside now while the weather is still warm. He should become accustomed to the cold gradually as the fall season progresses into winter. Most rabbits manage cold far better than heat. A bunny-sized cardboard box with some hay or straw will give him extra protection if needed. Be prepared to replace it often if he continues to chew everything in sight.

Most my cages have permanent nests in em but my smaller cages dont. Although the smaller cages are closer to the heating lamps.

So for winter should I keep him in the bigger cage +nest or is the smaller cage that's closest to the heating lamp better? I feel he'll be rly bored in the small one though. Not an issue with my lionheads, but I dont think it'd be good for him.

For now, since it's been cool the last few days cause of rain, I put him with 2 other boys his age (2 months) to give him some heat to cuddle with if he gets cold (that's if he can get around the idea of having roomates a while wich he is not happy about XD but hey they keep him busy! Run Surikat run!)

I'd opt for the large cage. With a nest box he should be fine, and he'll need the space with being so active.

Be careful housing him with other young males. They may fight before long -- and that can be ugly.

MaggieJ":1cjmgr9b said:
I'd opt for the large cage. With a nest box he should be fine, and he'll need the space with being so active.

Be careful housing him with other young males. They may fight before long -- and that can be ugly.
oh I know, but they arent mature yet, the other 2 are rabbits I wanna sell. One other reason I put them together is cause he always had water bowls and doesnt know how to use bottles. Outside they have water bottles, so it's normal for me to put other rabbits in that know how to use those to serve as an exemple. Eventually he'll get the whole cage but just not yet.

Latest posts

Back