Well Hurricane Harvey has been a trip.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
Hi RT friends! Just a quick update, we had to evacuate from our home near Corpus Christi last Thursday, unexpectedly. We were prepared to stay as it was not supposed to be too bad, but it kept gaining strength and put us under a mandatory evacuation. So we left with our 2 children, dog, cat, and all 13 Bunnies! Fast forward a few days and we have been excercising our bunnies each day, found out both of our homes are in tact for the most part, and we have a lot of friends who were not as lucky and has lost homes, possessions, and animals. One friend in particular couldn't take her rabbits and had a very large tree fall on her rabbit cage. Pray for our neighbors and all the flooding that's still happening. Hope Shazza (?) I think that's her RT name is ok in Houston....

Thank goodness you and your family (and critters) are safe, Macksmom. I've been thinking of y'all and hoping to hear from our Texan members.

So glad you checked in . . . and please keep us updated when you can.

whew, yeah, we're still here! we were able to ride it out til yesterday when it dumped something like 10 inches of rain on us in 8 hours. we evacuated last night to a friend's house with two cats, our dog, and 16 rabbits. we had to leave the reptiles, mice, and 16 rabbit kits, but we elevated them best we could. they said to take the amount of water we had around noon yesterday and double it, which would be a max of maybe two feet inside the house so we just picked everything important up above that. you should have seen us evacuating. there's a church next to our street that was on high ground so we met our friends there with their truck, but we had to wade through almost waist-deep water to get there. a neighbour loaned us his kayak to transport the animals so we didn't have to carry them. what an adventure (rolls eyes)

a neighbour reported this morning that the water was right at the threshold of her door, and her house is a few feet lower than ours. we're in a lull today, so hopefully the canals have time to drain before it picks up again. i would really like to come home to a house that isn't flooded :(

I am so sorry y'all are going through this! People here are still recovering from a year ago. I am so glad y'all are alright, but so very sorry that you're having to deal with it.

we are finally back into our house. we left the animals are our friends' house since they've instated a curfew since there's a ton of looters around, so we'll go back tomorrow morning and bring them. there's still some standing water in the yard, but only about ankle-deep and receding pretty quickly. the road is still flooded but accessible with a truck. can't wait to power wash and bleach out the rabbit cages that got flooded and FINALLY get them back in! they've been sitting in carriers with pretty much no space and nothing to do or look at for three days.

forecast is for it to rain a little bit tonight, then stop tomorrow. it even said by 5pm we should have some sun? wild.

of course now all my family in south louisiana is hunkering down for their turn...i feel sorry for them but boy am i glad it seems to be over for me x:

screw this hurricane nonsense, i'm moving to washington

Praying for all those effected!!

I had a good sit down, think about regarding evacuation.
I figured I would only be able to take about 20 rabbits.... that is not every bunny.

Doing a sold evac. plan will be on list of things to do this week, as I feel that I would need to leave half my rabbitry if I was forced to evacuate!!!

My rabbits are NOT in an area that is not prone to hurricanes or flooding.... but somehow that doesn't matter after seeing livestock that HAD to be abandoned because owners were forced to leave without them..... Made me sick thinking I might have to leave some of these critters, that depend on me for food and water, behind in an evac. situation....

(I am in no way judging these people, choices HAVE to be made in an emergency and those choices cannot be second guessed)

You're right, SarniaTricia, that each of us should make an evacuation plan. Here in Ontario we tend to get a little complaisant -- our weather is often uncomfortable, but very seldom so extreme that we are forced to consider evacuation. In fact, I have to say that I have never had to consider it.

Hurricane Hazel in 1954, which I can just remember, was the worst and did cause flooding along the creeks and rivers in and near Toronto. A number of homes were washed away. Afterwards, they put a no-building order in the floodplains, which makes good sense to me.

The City of Windsor did get hit with a very slow moving thunderstorm cell over the last couple of days and we had record rainfall and flooding. (Nothing sever in the county)

But yes, I think a solid evac plan for anyone with livestock should be part of your first aide kit.
I am working mine up today to keep at the barn.
I think that I should also talk to the barn owner, because I live 15 minutes from the barn and I am also not sure I could leave the horses and barn cat behind either!!
She only has a one horse trailer, but I am sure if one is led out the rest would follow. They are an older herd of animals and have a very strong herd bond.

Praying for everyone as much as possible! So sorry for everyone who is going through this hurricane craziness!
My pen-pal from YouTube said they had to rescue a drowning horse. :eek: But i bet there was much worse than that!
I'm just glad we don't get hurricanes where I live! But if we did get them, and I had to evacuate my house, the first thing I'd grab
( next to my crazy amount of siblings first of course) would be Olaf! There's things I love almost as much as him of course, but they're not living creatures so.......
Anyways, again, praying for everyone who was affected! :(

We got a good deal of rain from Harvey, but nothing like what Texas and SW LA got. It actually sprinkled again just a little while ago. But now they're doing rescues in Tennessee. :(

MaggieJ":e800syv0 said:
Ramjet":e800syv0 said:
I'm still alive too ....

Well, thank goodness for that, Ramjet. :)

I'm glad you checked in because I was wondering how you were doing. I couldn't remember what part of Texas you live in, so wasn't sure how you would be affected.

I'm in Houston .... just about the whole city was submerged. I got no water in the house but tens of thousands did. Its a real mess , the entire city has been shut down for the better part of a week.

I've been thru quite a few of these living here since the 60's .... All you can do is prepare and sit around waiting for the rain to stop. We built our house ~8ft above grade because of the potential for flooding.

Of the rescues in Tennessee I'd like to say that me and my family are all okay as of this moment. I'm worried about my in-laws because they are in a bowl we're they live, but they are also doing fine as of right now. I know I live more were it isn't flooding, but I do have family and friends were it is flooding. I'm hoping for the best for EVERYONE who is being impacted by this hurricane

Glad to hear you are ok Ramjet! And continued prayers for those of us who are still being affected by the damage, especially as we keep watching hurricane Irma now.

Latest posts

Back