First time writing a book

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
So I got an idea for a book I want to write. It will be my first time doing so and I want to make it as rabbit accurate as possible. My aim would be for young adults but I kind of want to go the route of the early Warrior Cat books before they got complicated later on.

I don't know exactly how I want to start it except that I want it to be from the rabbit's point of view. I thought about the beginning or introduction being around the time this rabbit was born. Blind and deaf until they hit 4 weeks ad they come above ground for the first time. They will be domestic raised in a colony setting before being picked to go to a pet store as they would be considered 'cute' by the general populace as an Easter Present for children. A friend I was already talking to this about choose the colony setting as some bunny mills use that.

I only have a few things figured out, I know I want the rabbit to be bounced between homes like some end up having happen to them. I don't know how often I want them bounced around though. What I do have figured out though is that while in the Easter pet home they were gotten for young children just for the "Cute" and "awe" factor until they grew up being much bigger then they expected so the cage ends up being to small and they end up being neglected and forgotten. At this point I still do not have a gender for the character figured out or even a breed. I was thinking maybe a meatmutt breed or just a mutt in general.

Anyone want to put in their input or ideas?

Nymphadora":2m1623mq said:
I don't really have any suggestions for you, but in terms of plot this reminds me a lot of Black Beauty.
Now that you mention it, it does and that was not my intention

Maleficent":1bc3tutf said:
Nymphadora":1bc3tutf said:
I don't really have any suggestions for you, but in terms of plot this reminds me a lot of Black Beauty.
Now that you mention it, it does and that was not my intention
It's not necessarily a bad thing (Black Beauty was a best-seller), just make sure it's not too similar. You want your story to be your own, after all. :)

I doubt anyone could make a story about rabbits come out anything like Black Beauty. Consider how deeply rooted that book was in the horse-dependent society of the times. There was no animal (or child) protection legislation and the author subtly echoes the ills of human slavery in the use and abuse of horses at that time. I don't think you need worry that a modern story about rabbits and rabbit welfare would come out at all similar.

Project Gutenberg has Black Beauty, for anyone interested in a free trip down memory lane.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/271

On the other hand, you will want to avoid similarities to Watership Down.

You don't have to avoid all similarities... how many stories have been told and retold through the years with only superficial changes and yet they are still loved? Sometimes you can improve on original ideas. Sometimes a simple twist in the setting and a surprise turn of the plot is enough to refresh an old story. I'm not saying you should try to copy anything - only that if you write what is in your heart and it ends up having some similarities to another story, it's alright.

The most popular easter breeds vary by region, but Holland Lops, Netherland Dwarfs and Lionheads seem to be huge out here. (Its only small breeds ever seen in pet stores and feed stores and CL ads around easter, because people want "pocket" pets. :( (Dutch would be a good choice if you think you want to hint at meaties, as they are quite popular as meaties for a small breed - and hey, if the bunny has blue eyes, it's more irresistible.) If you want a rabbit that is higher maintenance (thus adding some drama) maybe an fluffy angora.

So what is the emotional response you want your audience to feel at the end? Do you think you want to get into some really depressing realities of disposable pets? Or a lighter read with a happy ending and some subtle hints at the possible dark realities? (You don't have to answer those here if you don't want to... but thinking about the emotion you want to evoke will help shape out more ideas.)

While I've never written and published a novel, I've done a lot of private writing. One thing I have learned (a little late) is that you shouldn't proofread anything until you draft out the entire story. Just let it flow and see where it takes you, even if you suspect it might be a mistake. If you try to re-write the third chapter before you're halfway though the book, chances are you'll get TOO nit-picky and end up feeling frustrated, blocked and shelf the whole thing.

Happy writing. :)

LPH_NY":cpwcuour said:
You don't have to avoid all similarities... how many stories have been told and retold through the years with only superficial changes and yet they are still loved? Sometimes you can improve on original ideas. Sometimes a simple twist in the setting and a surprise turn of the plot is enough to refresh an old story. I'm not saying you should try to copy anything - only that if you write what is in your heart and it ends up having some similarities to another story, it's alright.

The most popular easter breeds vary by region, but Holland Lops, Netherland Dwarfs and Lionheads seem to be huge out here. (Its only small breeds ever seen in pet stores and feed stores and CL ads around easter, because people want "pocket" pets. :( (Dutch would be a good choice if you think you want to hint at meaties, as they are quite popular as meaties for a small breed - and hey, if the bunny has blue eyes, it's more irresistible.) If you want a rabbit that is higher maintenance (thus adding some drama) maybe an fluffy angora.

So what is the emotional response you want your audience to feel at the end? Do you think you want to get into some really depressing realities of disposable pets? Or a lighter read with a happy ending and some subtle hints at the possible dark realities? (You don't have to answer those here if you don't want to... but thinking about the emotion you want to evoke will help shape out more ideas.)

While I've never written and published a novel, I've done a lot of private writing. One thing I have learned (a little late) is that you shouldn't proofread anything until you draft out the entire story. Just let it flow and see where it takes you, even if you suspect it might be a mistake. If you try to re-write the third chapter before you're halfway though the book, chances are you'll get TOO nit-picky and end up feeling frustrated, blocked and shelf the whole thing.

Happy writing. :)
Thank you for the advice ^^

Latest posts

Back