Lilac Chin or Lilac Sable Chin? updated pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have no experience with the Sable gene, but this little lilac has some darker areas on he ears and closer to his muzzle that I'm starting to wonder if he isn't a lilac Sable chin. Any thoughts?

I was going for chin, but this one's great grandmother was Sable, so it's more than possible, just haven't had one yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3493.JPG
    IMG_3493.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 2,688
I'd wait a little more, I think he might turn into some kind of siamese pointed or some such. Hard to tell from the picture. Or maybe a smutty lynx? I dunno

Yeah, he doesn't look particularly ermine/frosty either. If it were another breed (like hollands, which have smuttier non-extension - this would be a pretty average holland lop frosty) I'd say the chances of being frosty were higher, but all the ermine angoras I've seen have pretty clean color, not like this. This is one of those which I would just wait for it to age up a bit. As of right now the closest thing he looks to is a HL's frosty color. Not smoke pearl, the white inside the ears show agouti based (but smoke pearl chin is still a possibility)
The skin looks pink, though, what color was it born?

He looked Lilac chin until his ears turned darker. There's a pic of him in the "first litter in 6 months" thread that's up. He's the little dude in he middle, his Ermine sibling is right above him.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm getting 'closer' to chin at least, now if I could find a stinkin REW that fits well into my breeding program...

Might just have to swing by the state fair next weekend and see if there's any hope of finding one there. So far looks like I'll be transporting one in. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here's the little guy at 1 week old, the shading is still more promenant than I would expect if he were just a lilac chin.

Please excuse the grubby fingers, I make bunny rounds right after getting off work at the plant nursery :)

Attachments

• IMG_3521.JPG
    IMG_3521.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 2,613
  • IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,613
Well as he grows out more he's certainly the dreaded 'shagouti'. (Black based Sable agouti) I'll have to get more pics tonight. So much for a show rabbit! Suppose I'll just stick to wool for a while. :)

eeeyup. There's a lot of similar colors, but that sure looks plain shagouti to me. :( Probably wideband too to contribute to his extra-light-but-not-quite-frosty look.
You can absolutely spot sable types at birth. They start weirdly light - their blacks aren't black at all! :shock: I was so confused with my first sable, because there wasn't much on the internet to give me a clue what sable kits looked like. Now that I've had a few, they're much easier to recognize, even in their agouti forms.
The way sable-based kits start off light, I'm really suspicious sable could be a temp-sensitive gene; like how rabbit Himi is like cat Siamese, I'm thinking rabbit Sable could be like cat Burmese. :? Siamese and Burmese are temp-sensitive too.

Nyctra":20zivjwx said:
eeeyup. There's a lot of similar colors, but that sure looks plain shagouti to me. :( Probably wideband too to contribute to his extra-light-but-not-quite-frosty look.
You can absolutely spot sable types at birth. They start weirdly light - their blacks aren't black at all! :shock: I was so confused with my first sable, because there wasn't much on the internet to give me a clue what sable kits looked like. Now that I've had a few, they're much easier to recognize, even in their agouti forms.
The way sable-based kits start off light, I'm really suspicious sable could be a temp-sensitive gene; like how rabbit Himi is like cat Siamese, I'm thinking rabbit Sable could be like cat Burmese. :? Siamese and Burmese are temp-sensitive too.

It's quite possible. They are mutations of the same gene (Tyrosinase).

Latest posts

Back