Finally found a tan rabbit! Help me choose his mate!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
So I finally found a tan breed rabbit, I'm going to pick him up tomorrow. I get to choose between 2 chocolate tan boys. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get him.

My goal is to create this :
Tan_1.png

Now I have to decide wich female would be best to mate with him as a first attempt.
Here are my options:
i99cimgpsh_orig.png

What do you guys think?

I'm not super experienced, so take me with a grain of salt, but I would choose Codette myself.

She appears to be a very recessive genotype (chocolate tort should be aa bb C- D- ee) and would possibly show you what else your new buck may be carrying for genetics. Also, as she is not an Agouti based color, she wouldn't hide the tan pattern your buck is contributing, so you would be able to see tan markings in the first generation.

Just my thought.

Ferra":2dwkg61v said:
I'm not super experienced, so take me with a grain of salt, but I would choose Codette myself.

She appears to be a very recessive genotype (chocolate tort should be aa bb C- D- ee) and would possibly show you what else your new buck may be carrying for genetics. Also, as she is not an Agouti based color, she wouldn't hide the tan pattern your buck is contributing, so you would be able to see tan markings in the first generation.

Just my thought.
Yes I am running in the issue that a lot of my females are agouti based. I'm working on changing that as soon as I get good babies and I did think it would become an issue with the tan.
I might not get the new buck tomorrow afterall, the tan is the only case where I'd prefer black. I'm going to visit the rabittry tomorrow anyways and see if I either buy a chocolate one anyways or reserve a black one. Although choco rly is where I prefer all my other bunnies to be at P: As long as the black one carries choco too, I'm gonna pick black in this case.

Although the lady said she does have some choco females. I'm thinking putting them with Edward my choco otter male might work wonders.

Anyways going tomorrow, I'm gonna have to decide what I do then XD.

__________ Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm __________

TeaTimeBunnies":2dwkg61v said:
I'm not necessarily good at this either, but I think you could try panda, codette, or sia.
True Panda might work once she's old enough. She's Aa so she'd have good chances. That'll be in 4 months or so though. All the babies would be at least single mane and she's my fluffiest baby since I started lionheads so she's good genes. I'll definetly try her then.

__________ Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:15 am __________

So I've decided what to do. I decided on taking one of the choco males :)
0da397_54d4deb74dc144898c49a7cc253bebb8-mv2.jpg
0da397_c9ad0131bbb147a3acb523ccd74202e3-mv2.jpg

http://kimitsukouseki.wixsite.com/bunbu ... es/surikat

Once he's grown up his females will be Panda and Chichi. Both are B? Aa females and they are 2 females I wasnt sure what excuse I should use to keep em cause I dont "need" to but I "want" to. Also neither carry the vienna gene and I didn't want the bush fire line to carry it if possible since vienna oasis and bush fire are seperate pattern projects. So them and Surikat are going to become my Bush fire line.
Will take a while to get a single mane self tan pattern, but that's fine and all the babies will come out black but will carry chocolate wich is a bonus along with converting 2 agouti females into selfs. I might also use Sia if she's still around by then.

As photos can be deceptive, I'm going to say line up your does and pick the ones with the richest rufus!
You can get rid of agouti and nonextension genes easy by breeding back to a & E carriers, but building up that rufus was always a pain in the butt to me when I was trying to breed the red back up in my New Zealands after they'd been crossed to Whites. :x

Nyctra":1u50dq2z said:
As photos can be deceptive, I'm going to say line up your does and pick the ones with the richest rufus!
You can get rid of agouti and nonextension genes easy by breeding back to a & E carriers, but building up that rufus was always a pain in the butt to me when I was trying to breed the red back up in my New Zealands after they'd been crossed to Whites. :x
what's rufus?

KimitsuKouseki":2nbacwqw said:
what's rufus?
It's how yellow or red a bun is. The redder/orangier it is, the more rufus it has.
For example, fawn and Red are both A_ B_ C_ D_ ee, but it's the rufus modifiers that really sets them apart. You can see an example of the difference in rufus on the chestnut kits on either end of this cuddle pile:

Attachments

• Little lady's kits.jpg
    Little lady's kits.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,176
Ah I see what you mean. In that case Chichi and Panda are indeed good. Panda is a very reddish chestnut and Chichi is my brightest orange.
Sia would be blerg cause she's a very dull choco agouti.
Lolita has very saturated orange and would be suitable for the same reasons as Chichi, but I dont plan on having her anymore in 4 months cause she's a bitch. She's lined up to have a litter every 2 months with Boulette until I get a suitable tricolor baby girl to keep and that offspring will not be suitable for the bush fire line. If I get unlucky and she's still around I'll give her a go too I guess....

Back