How long before you can out a new bun on pasture?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
How long do you introduce fresh greens to a new rabbit before you can put him out on grass?
My first rabbit has only ever been on pellets and hay. I have been giving him a leaf or two of something different every other day but how long should I continue/increase before he can go in the run?

i just toss in a small handful of grass/weeds/etc. for maybe a week, increasing the amount of weeds every couple of days. i also will add rolled oats to their feed just in case, it helps prevent diarrhea. but honestly i find i don't have to be really delicate, at least mine seem to adapt really well. i can think of maybe one situation in which the kits got soft poop, but only for a day and they never seemed lethargic or anything.

That is kind of what I was thinking. I was starting to increase his greens anyway. Maybe another week or so before Im comfortable putting him out though. I would Not be happy having to make another 4hr drive to get a replacement. :D

Another option is to put the rabbit in the run for a very short period of time and gradually let it spend longer time in the run. Make sure to feed the bun its normal ration of pellets and/or hay before doing so that it will not be ravenous and gorge on fresh greens.

This is how we manage horses when first putting them out on grass in the spring... let them fill up on a breakfast of hay, and then put them out on grass for 15 minutes or so, depending on how lush the growth is. Within about 10 days to 2 weeks they can be out on pasture all day without any issues.

Latest posts

Back